1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swapping the 45rfe for a 6 spd?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jomofo, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I'd like to swap the 5 spd auto in my 2500 for the 6 spd manual. Can it be done ?

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

it can be done your better off tryin to find a wrecked 6 speed and get all the parts but its still a ton of work. why don't you like the auto? might be easier putting a built auto in it(like valve body,heavy duty torque converter)

3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

TBH, the real reason I don't like the auto is that I'm not accustomed to driving one... 95% of my vehicles have been std trans. It drives me nuts when I'm on the switchback above my work and I hit the gas coming out of the turn - often, the trans decides that theres about 200 rpms worth of power way at the top of the range and drops me into first for about 2 seconds... Also, when I'm driving uphill in second and it's a bit slick and the auto decides I need first - guarenteed loss of rear wheel traction. Also, under normal driving, there are lots of instances where I'd just like to give it a bit more gas in the gear I'm in, but the auto decides I need to downshift.

Basically, the auto does not have a good record of interpreting my driving and it's regualrly doing things that I don't want it to do. With the manual, when I put it in second - it be stayin' there.

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i hear ya, i get a little aggrivated when my truck downshifts when it really doesn't need to. i miss my dodge with the 6 speed it was always in the right gear :cool:

5. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

The other thing that drives me nuts is topping out at 15 in 1st, and 55 in 2nd. WTF? Luckily I'm always plowing my dirt roads, so I can go into 4-lo and find a reasonable speed for just letting it idle it's way along...

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You may want to try a Superchips or whatever your choice, programmer. When I used the Superchips in my truck (Same Transmission as yours) it made the shifting 100x better.

7. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

That's interesting... when you say the shifting was 100x better - what was different about it?

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The superchips removed the "torque management" or that drop in RPM's between shifts, the shifts were much more solid/less slip, and it didn't hunt for gears anymore. Even on the base 87 Octane tune it had a bit more power and seemed to hold gears much better than before. I live in a very "hilly" area and the truck will hunt for gears non stop when driving around, with the superchips it would find a gear and hold it.

Look around on the Discussion Forums like dodgetalk- they are for sale there all the time for around $200.

9. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

thanks plowguy!

10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a standard in my truck and love it. i also know what you mean about going up and down hills my dads truk does that and it gets annoying. your best bet wounld be to selling ur current truck or funding a wreacked one to pull all the parts out of to do the swap.