1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swapping out front springs on '05 F350. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by oldmankent, Apr 19, 2011.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I just got a '05 F350 crewcab shortbed 4x4 with V10 gas. It has a 5600 lbs front end with the "DD" code springs. I want to upgrade the springs to the heavier ones CC, BB, AA. Not sure which ones to get. I was thinking about going with the BB code springs. 6500 lbs and usually come on the F450-550's. Only thing I'm worried is that they will be too stiff. Anyone have a gas with CC or BB code springs on it that can comment? Thanks, Nick.

2. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

what is your goal for the truck? Are you trying to level it or are you preparing to plow with it?

3. hiranger

hiranger Member

Dont have a gas truck..on diesel.. Put the 7000 Ib springs on a truck .. Well worth it if plowing.Will take about 1.5 hrs -2 hrs

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

As posted on FTE, your truck with the V10 probably has plow prep since it has 5600lb springs, but coils wear out and sag faster than leafs. Yours are probably wore out and saggy given it's 6 years old. I'd go with new 6k springs. Much stiffer than that will punish you big time unloaded.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It's already got push plates on it. Just don't think 5600 lbs springs are the way to go. I don't think new springs will level it. I'm going with the 6K springs. decided that 6500 and 7000 would be too stiff. New shocks and steering stabilizer too. should be a big improvement hopefully. Thanks, Nick.

6. hiranger

hiranger Member

Really heavier springs dont ride much stiffer than the 6000lb ones. Being gas you will most likely get by just fine

7. Chipper

Chipper Member

I had to put 7000 lb springs on my F-350 to haul the 9.5 foot V-plow. I was also worried about the ride being to stiff. I haven't really noticed any difference though. Ride height is about the same as the 6000 lb springs I replaced. If your going through the hassle go with the 7000 lb springs.

8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I bet that truck already has 6k rated SPP springs, and the FGAWR does not reflect that. The only 6k FGAWR came on diesels. 56k for a V10 is SPP.