1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swapping my 350 Gas hog in my 1989 GMC Suburban for 6.5 liter turbo diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by shawnh618, Aug 26, 2005.

1. shawnh618

shawnh618 Junior Member

I was wondering if I could swap the 350 Gas hog in my 1989 GMC Suburban for 6.5 liter turbo diesel without a lot of trouble? A friend at one of the local tow yards is letting me have a (totaled out) 1995 3/4 ton pickup for nothing. It runs good, and everything on it is salvageable-but the frame is bent from an accident. I have a 1989 GMC suburban that I got last summer with the idea of fixing it up. I bought it with the intentions of gutting it out and turning it into a cool street cruiser :drinkup: I only paid $400.00 dollars for it. I wanted to swap the 6.5 liter diesel engine into the suburban. I was wondering if this task is worth it, even possible and what is the reliability rating of the 6.5 liter diesel engine.

Does anyone know?
    Need help!!!!
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, a 6.5 probably isn't very high on anyone's swap list, but I think it should be do-able. Especially for the price!

You'll need all the wiring, emmissions junk, tranny etc. from the donor truck. I think some people have done the swap using a mechanical setup from the older 6.2, but I am sure there is quite a bit of improvement in the newer parts.

Motor mounts from a 6.2 powered pickup or 'Burban for the older body style would simplify the task.

It would get a little more complicated tranny-wise if either is a 4x4, which you didn't mention.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member