1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swapping a plow onto my new truck - '08 F250 - What to do?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jettix2, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Hey guys.......

I have a Western UltraMount 8' Pro Plow that I bought used last year and had installed on my (then) 05 Chevy 2500HD. I use it just to plow my own 150' driveway and a couple of neighbors driveways, nothing extreme....

I traded the truck in on a new (to me) '08 F250 SD Crew Cab 4WD with a 6.4L PSD.

I need to get my plow (or, A plow) installed on the new truck........... All I have is the plow and the controller. The mount and all wiring went with the old truck.......

I was quoted $1100 for the mount, wiring, and installation to get the plow on the truck.

This is a much better deal than the $1489 I was originally quoted, but still more than I'd like to spend.

Anyone have other thoughts???? Should I try to sell the plow I have and buy something that is already set up for this truck???

Any thoughts are appreciated!!!
  2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

How old is the western you have? That plow new is over 4 grand
    $1100 is going to be cheaper then any good decent plow will cost.I suggest if the plow you have is in good shape spend the money for the new controls and keep it.
  3. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

I don't know how old it is, for sure. It has the older style lights, but is clean, straight, and in nice shape. I bought it used last year from a shop. Same shop can install it on the new truck for $1100.00

He MAY be able to get me into something different for the same money, by taking my old one on trade, if I wanted.......

Thanks, Ben
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I think that you have to look at the overall condition of the plow you have vs the plow you will get.
    You will spend money on installing a plow no matter which one it is.
    If the plow he has is better then what you have then go with that one.
    Remember this guy is in business to make money. More detailed info would be helpful.
    The truck you bought should last for a long time if you take care of it 10-15yrs no problem.
    I would put the better plow on providing the cost is relative to useful life.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That's a great price in my opinion. My Brother in law paid $900 to have a plow taken off a Chevy and put on a GMC. No new parts, mount or wiring, just new bolts. Once you have the mount and wiring you can pull up to your plow and be good to go. Be quick to get it done, there is only so many truck side mounts made each year. Might even try a junk yard that is on the network for parts. They may be able to find a mount on a wrecked truck for cheap. The truck side mount is the big money part of the install.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

$1,100 is cheap for install and all the black iron and wiring. As for plows if yours is in good shape why change for a unit you know nothintg about?
  7. Jettix2

Jettix2 Member

Yeah, first price was $1489 and included a new mount and wiring.

Second price was $1100 and is making use of a previously installed but never used mount, with new wiring. Sounds like that's as good of a deal as I'll get, unless he has a Boss-V laying in his storage barn that he wants to trade for. But yeah, he's in this to make money, so I doubt that will happen.