1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swapping 6.9L for a 7.3L

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DJC, Nov 25, 2011.

1. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Hello,
    I have a 86 F250 with a 6.9L in it and I would like to swap it out for a 88 7.3L that I already have. I have been doing a lot of searching but I still can't find the answer I'm looking for. How do I change the wire harness?? Reason being is the 6.9 only has 6 wires at the plug-in and the 7.3 has 12. Does anyone know how to match the colors up and where the other wires go and come off from the 7.3?? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

They same

But why you want swap? They are almost alike.

Just REV to 3K rpm it will do work. Just reminder check oil level and change oil often.

3. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

try powerstrokenation.com might be some one who is familiar with the harness and maybe some one who has done the swap, I know they have a section for the 6.9/7.3 idi

4. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

what kind of 7.3? same vintage? you just have the fuel shutoff, oil pressure and coolant sensors, and the glow plug relay kick on and not sure if the power wire runs through it too for that solenoid. fuel heater, the 6.9 has one mounted on the pipe from the filter tower, i believe the 7.3s are the same way until the powerstroke era when you have the bowl. id just follow the wires. must be the alternator, the 7.3 has an internally regulated alternator, my 6.9 has the regulator mounted on the pass fender wheel well

..i personally woulda stuck with the 6.9, the early 7.3s had cavitation issues in the coolant passageways all the way up till 1994. i also woulda done the oil cooler o rings while the motor was out if you didnt. theyre a total pita when the motor is installed

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  5. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Cummins 12v Swap.

6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

The 6.9 was completely wore out and was going to cost more then it was worth to rebuild. I have the 88 7.3 and I know that it's still good. I'm just not sure how to connect the two harnesses together.