1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swaping axles

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 1996fordf15013, Sep 23, 2010.

1. 1996fordf15013

1996fordf15013 Junior Member

ok i have a 96 ford f150 and im going to be putting a 250 gal sealcoater in the back.
    so im thinking of putting f 350 leaf springs, axle, drive shaft, and diff in it. What do you guys think????? And how much do you think it will cost???

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

i think you should just find a f350 or something its alot of werk and then you got to change both axles cause the gear ratios are or may be diffrent, the trans from a f350 is diffrent depending on the motor the driveshafts on a f350 may be longer than the f150s driveshaft its alot of werk it can be done but i would just get an f350 or bigger for that .:mechanic:

3. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I did this to my truck, sure you can do it. I would just go by a new truck, the only reason I did it was cause I already had all the parts http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=104000 needed to use a diffrent drive shaft, shortly after i did the axle the tranny went, I had to change both the front and rear axle but hey after all the work i have one damn sick ass truck

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Won't the seal coating unit full of seal coat weigh over 3000 lbs.? That puts you over GVW whether you swapped in some heavier components or not. Best to purchase a truck that is up to the job.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Not worth

Sell that truck and buy bigger truck like F350 or F450 for that.