1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swap Windshield

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wally3128, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Any idea if a '81 windshield fit into a '83 Suburban?
    If possible is it a big chore or should I leave it to a glass pro?
    Thank you
    :cool:
    Wally

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I can't answer your '81 to '83 question, but removing a windshield intact is a VERY difficult procedure. It requires an extreme amount of patience and specialized tools such as a hot wire cutter. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I doubt you'll find a glass man to do it for less than a new install.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Got to agree with Pelican. I did this once and it took most of a day. Was worth it because it was a classic and we could not locate a replacement that wasn't $$$. That is a pretty popular windshield (same as a Chevy Truck) and should not be much to get a nice new windshield. I just made an appointment for my Toyota and the price is under $100!

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Even with the proper tools it is a tedious task. We tried to save one from a 70 Chevy K/10, and in the last 6" of cutting the seal, it cracked. No real loss, as the truck was being junked, but the $100 we could have got for the used glass was lost.

Better off getting new, or getting a pro to swap the glass. The glass from the 81 will fit the 83. IF possible, wait until it is warmer. The seal won't set up in cold weather. Once the new glass is in, they will tell you to leave your door glass open an inch or so. Closing the doors with the glass up can cause pressure that will pop out the new windshield until the seal sets up....

~Chuck

5. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Thanks fellas,,
    Picking up the '83 suburban for my boy in the morning and the windshield is all cracked up. The interior in the back is messed up pretty bad also. A friend found it in a pasture and a bunch of dope heads messed it up. Think the dopers took apart the A/C to huff the freon. But the body is in Super Great shape and the rest of the interior is ok for 20 years old. The odometer says 53,000, I take that for 153,000. Purrs like a kitten. Runs smooth.Not too bad for $500. Just need the windshield . Got a internet quote from Auto glass.com $243 installed NEW. Check locals in the morning.
    Walter

6. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Hey Wally, I'd definitely shop around for your windshield.

Here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, brand new 1981-1986 Chevrolet full size windshields go for approximately $150 - $200 installed, and that's in Canadian funds!!

In fact, I don't even bother to carry glass coverage for most of my vehicles (they're all older) because the glass is less expensive than the increased premiums, and/or the increased deductable!

DJS

7. 68bullit

68bullit Member

these windows fit the same from 73-87 all trucks,blazers,suburbans.TRUST ME.

remove the center piece of rubber thats in the groove.use a putty knife or something to peel the window from the rubber edeg and have a person on the outside as you push it outward.

very easy.if you are lucky it woul;d take you all of 10 minutes to remove.installation is a little longer as you are trying to not break it.

at the bottom edge in the center of the glass SHOULD be the antenna wire but maybe not.

blow the rubber groove out with air or vacuum and reinstall window.antenna wire and reverse procedure iwth the inner rubber lip that holds the rubber in.

the only difference in glass in ALL 73-87 windshields is they can be tinted,and have the antenna or they may not

good luck

8. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Thanks Fellas,,$120.00 and about 25 minutes! Too good to pass up!:cool:
    Wally