1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

swap front suspension of a 2000 Dakota SLT QuadCab 4.7L

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by brumas, Nov 22, 2013.

1. brumas

brumas Junior Member
    from Canada

Hi there,

Looking for the front suspension of my 2000 Dakota SLT QuadCab 4.7L, I don't see springs, looks like just shock absorbers.

My question is:
    Is it possible to put a stronger suspension on the front wheels?

I notice that some dakotas actually have springs, does my frame accept that kind of suspension? So if I pick on Pick and Pull, will I be able to install in my dakota frame? (from same years)

2. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Iirc all of that style Dakotas are ifs suspensions. Not much to be done but replace worn parts with good quality ones. Maybe a timbren kit will help hold the plow higher.

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Your a dumb one ain't ya...

Torsion bar front end, you can swap the bars but its

A. Not easy
    B. Dangerous if you don't have the right tools
    C. Not really worth it

4. snowpro44

snowpro44 Member

Ya..I wont waste the time and the money on a Dakota!!buy a real TRUCK...Then Invest in the good parts..Even a Chevyman is telling you right!!lol

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I plowed 3 years with 03 Dakota Quad Cab. It uses the same engine, front axle, transmission, transfer case, and rear axle as the Ram 1500.

It has torsion bars, crank them up, use timbrens if needed an go to town. I hung a MM1 7'6" Fisher HD on mine without issues. It was a great truck for tight driveways because the turning radius was so tight.