1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Swanson sander cluch problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ALCLAND1, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ALCLAND1

ALCLAND1 Junior Member

Im haveing trouble with the eletric clutch on my swanson spreader. The cluch does not always engage and sometimes it slips. can this be rebuilt or should I just replace the clutch with a new one. If anyone can recomend a source for a new cluch it would be helpful.
    Also is it possable to remove the gas engine and cluch and make it a direct drive eletric unit.
    Thanks in advance for your help, Adam

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i would double ck your gnd going to the clutch first,,,not saying its bad, but start there. anyone of our sponcers could get you a clutch. as far as replacing the motor. sure it can be done, how much you wanna spend????

3. LON

LON Senior Member

Like dieselss said check grounds. Also check your connections as corrosion could make a voltage drop and not allow the clutch to fully engage.

4. dieselss

Also the air gap. It's been a lonnng time since I looked at a gas spreader,,,so not 100% if they have adjuster nuts on them

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Is it the clutch slipping or the belt? the engine can sometime shift in its adjustment holes to allow slack on the belt causing slippage ...take a look at that first..... if it is the clutch they are about 170-200 ...I replaced one on mine and it was a very common part number but cant remember what the part number was...... use lots of heat and a gear puller (this tool is a must if its really on there good) and you'll be fine if you have to replace it......

6. ALCLAND1

ALCLAND1 Junior Member

I did look at the belt today, yes I am embarrassed to say that was the problem. Moved the engine over to take up the slack and perfect.
    Now my next problem is my control box is on the fritz. The plug connector has a burnt prong on the red wire/clutch hot wire.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

good to hear....at least you didnt have to fork out $200 for a new clutch!

8. ALCLAND1

ALCLAND1 Junior Member

Yes it worked out good as far as the clutch goes.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

9. dieselss

The plug connector has a burnt prong on the red wire/clutch hot wire.
    were??? at the clutch? the rear connector? at the in cab controller?
    maybe a pic?