1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sw9 Salter ?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by scottL, Jan 21, 2009.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone own one and can comment on it? ( Mounting, wobble, jamming, loading, etc )

How about a link to the owners manual? ( I didn't find it easily on their site )

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

3. scottL

Thanks Tom.....

Do you know what the horse power is on the sw9?
    The flow gates seem to adjust the flow rate but, does it really direct the spread pattern too?
    I didn't see anything on there being a need for straps or bars for the top - did I miss that?

I talked with my local dealers and non has a price on the sw9. Can you pm me with the list and are they easily available?

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/showDealers/state/IL

There is the list of all IL retailers. We do have units available through the factory so any retailer in your area should be able to order for you. If you need anything else let me know.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. scottL

Thanks Guys.

The It sounds good. Basher I know your on top of all things sno-way ...... Heard of any issues to be aware of on it? jamming, blowing fuses, blown motors, ease of use??

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Grease the top bearing under the center plate. Keep the electric connections clean. Draw your power directly from the battery. No sand

8. scottL

cool. Thanks!

9. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

Don't tie it down when you are spreading, the shifting back and forth (slop in the drawbar) helps the spreader flow. I put straps on mine to keep it from shifting back and forth at all and the performance dropped undid the straps and it worked great again.

10. scottL

When you say slop..... I think of the huge wobble I get from my western 2500. The wobble is both from side to side and front and back ( that's with straps on ). In fact the wobble is SOoooo bad that is has bounced into my tail bed and I have two big dings on a new truck.

So ... how much does this unit wobble then??????

11. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

just side to side depends on how beat up you hitch is I guess but there is no way it could hit my tailgate or any other part of my truck. It is 6-8 inches from tailgate enough that I can stand with one foot between the spreader and the tailgate when loading bags from the bed to spreader. i think it may move 2-3 inches side to side at the top.

12. scottL

that's not bad... thanks for the description!

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not a lot. Most of my customers don't use a thing but some people are annoyed by ball mount noise, I'm one. I made a "rattle stopper" I use for anything that goes in my hitch. The clunks and rattle annoy the he!! out of me. I think a rubber stretch strap lots best Provides a little tension against the rattle but allow some motion to assist material flow.

14. scottL

I stopped at a local shop today ... Say the sw6 I believe. Sturdy frame. It did have straps on top and over the gate but, there was near no wobble. Seems decent.

Curious on the gates...... If you close them a bit, does that affect which direction the material goes? Ie. hooks to the left, center or right? ( I'm mainly interested in various flow options yet, having a far throwing area for coverage ).

I'm waiting on word about returning my current salter.

15. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Yes, closing the paddles will change the spread pattern. When the paddles are set 180* apart, it will spread roughly a 180* pattern. Basically the material will be spread in a pattern "between" the paddles where ever they are set. Here is a link to our brochure which will provide you with more details on our receiver spreaders. Thanks for considering Sno-Way.

http://www.snoway.com/pdfs/Sno-Way_Spreader_Catalog_Low_Res.pdf

16. scottL

OMG ..... A new sno-way rep! Awsome! ( I am assuming Tom is still around

And thank you for the reply.

17. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm looking at buying one of these spreaders next plowing season. Any recommendations? Can you spread a sand salt mix, or just pure salt. I'm in Worcester county in mass. So where do you buy the salt?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

NO SAND:nono:!!!!NO SAND!!! Maybe if it's totally dry and you stay in the back and slow feed it but if not it will tunnel. So for all intents and purposes NO SAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. scottL

There's a local shop near me that runs 3 of the smaller sw3 I believe and they run a 70/30 mix ( most salt ). They claim no problems.

Any idea what the SW9 retails for or what a fair price is for this unit???? ( I can't seem to find one any where ).

THANKS!!

20. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

point taken. Thanks guys. Maybe next season, I'm just going to go with a 2 yd slide in.