1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SW or 810

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by clncut, Dec 17, 2008.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Im looking into purchasing another plow. I currently have a blizzard 760 HD and have been happy with my plow thus far. Im torn between the 810 and SW. If anyone could give their input on pros cons to help steer me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

John

2. onemanshow

onemanshow Junior Member
    from alaska

I went with the 860sw and have been happy with it.Arround here I don't see many 810s,mosly the sw models.From what I have read on this site,people who own 810s like them.I've never owned or used a 810,but the 860sw has cut my time almost in half doing the same lots I did last year with my 800hd.:)

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Both are great plows. You really can't go wrong, the question come down to do you need control over the wings completely. I personally have had some drive thrus the SW wouldn't fit through. I also found while transporting my friends SW it made my Chevy run hotter then even the 810 does. Must have been something to do with airflo.

4. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I choose the 860 SW for its simplicity. Less parts to break, cheaper to repair. This is my first season with the Blizzard and there are some advantages to both. Like mentioned above the 810's ability to retract to 8'. And the ability to turn while still in scoop mode.

5. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

810 for truck great idea the SW not so great wings stay in cup position during travel

6. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

This topic has been covered many times. If you do a search for S.W. you'll probably find it being compred to a power plow. I have had both and currently love my 860 S.W. I think your crazy if you think the S.W. causes your truck to run warm because of the wings. It's the truck ,not the plow !!! If anything the S.W. is easier on the truck due to the fact it's lighter. For me in my applications the S.W. is great. I do all of he same jobs I did with my 810 and I can't really say it takes any longer. I actually like the fact that the wings adjust themselves !!! , Just my $.02

, shaun

7. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for all the replies. Im leaning towards the SW as mentioned by someone else, less parts to break and lighter for the truck. With the good snow season thus far, a new plow is looking pretty good. Thanks again.

John

8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Oh I forgot to mention one more plus for the 860 S.W. It has 1/2 inch edges all around. You can get atleast one season out of your factory edges !!!

,shaun

9. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Found out to save money used 1 1/2 rubber on wing edges instead of the steel

10. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

never heard of anyone doing this. how does it work on ice or hard pack?

11. lilweeds

It is partly the truck, however the speedwing does make a big difference in the airflow over the front of the truck, so does the 810. If you ever drive in the snow you can really see the difference. I like the speedwing, just for the work I do the 810 fits better.

12. lilweeds

Use Winters carbides and you get three seasons!

13. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

rubber edge for wings

Your blizzard wings were never intended to cut through ice they are made to contain snow and the rubber works great we have 6 of the 810's and have been using this rubber for 5 years.