1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SW chicago getting the shaft, no snow in sight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippoz, Feb 23, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz Member

it has been well over a month for me, still no snow to plow. this is getting ridiculous, only 3 billable events this year! 2" trigger too. im disapointed it seems that all of the storms are just missing us.

2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Tell me about it, I know how you feel!!!!

3. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

good year bad year

everbody has a different opinion on the results for the year

this has been a great year for me

7in fall plowed 3 times salted 2

3 salt runs

9 in storm plowed 3 times salted 3 times and cleaned up everthing att the end

i think there was a small snow a inch or 2 in there some were

zippo we are in the same area if your not close to my totals you may want to look att how your contracts are written for next year

4. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

PLOWABLE in Chicago

I have only PLOWED for 3 storms also, 2" triggers. I sub to another guy and have nothing to do with salt unless I drive one of his salt trucks. I wasn't gonna plow this year so there was one snowfall that I missed. (The end of Nov.) There were three after that. (One 7-8", a week or so later 3-4", then about a month ago 7-8 storm.) Am hoping to be on my own next year, so maybe then I will have a use for salt.

Yes, all the snow is missing us. Supposed to be one over the weekend, were calling for 4-7 here, and it didn't form up, etc. so we got 1/2 an inch.

Yeah, I'm getting sick of the Rockford, IL "hole" that doesn't let the moisture get here. It goes N. S. E. or W. of us, but never seems to snow ON us. I think you are close enough to Rockford to be getting the effects from it. I thought it was funny how a few yrs back the weather guy joked about it. He seems to like snow too. Well, that isn't funny anymore. If you think I'm joking about the "hole", then watch the radar for next storm, chances are it'll do the same again. Gets to the Mississippi, and loses all the moisture and forms the hole, then reforms by the time it gets to Lake Mich.

I live on the north edge of the "hole", Madison, wi gets hammered, while we get nothing.

Jeff

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It's a sign of the times guys. Winter is not winter in the midwest anymore and it's over for the season.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

dont feel to bad, the storms seems to split around kalamazoo also. they then go north and south of us.

7. zippoz

zippoz Member

this was my first year too, not that i didnt come out ahead of my investment, i was just expecting more. like the snowfalls when i was a kid.

funny thing, everyone kept telling me about how it was going to snow more than ever before this year, how it would top every other year in recent memory, somthing from the farmers alminac....

well they were wrong so far, but im still holding out hope for that last heavy snowfall

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you think you have a hole, watch Columbus Ohio the next storm, the same thing happens here also. It snows all around us, I live 25 miles N of downtown Cols and we get the same effect as Cols. It's stupid.

9. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

I head that last fall this was the year!!!! They said the same thing about the cubs :)

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Here's an example of why I don't believe the Farmers Almanac. They said that February was supposed to be one of the coldest and snowiest on record. We had all rain and above normal temps. all month. LOL.

11. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

no snow

These kind of months are good and bad. They are bad because we don't get to make as much money as we would like. They are good because months like this seperate the real snow contractors from the fly by nights.All the fly by nights will be selling there equipment dirt cheap just to get out. So these months aren't really so bad. Just wait till spring and save the money you lost from not plowing when you by one of those fly by nights trucks for pennies on the dollar.

12. hesko1

hesko1 Member

alot of snow

Here in the detroit area we have gotten an all time record of 50" or so I have heard. Our worst year was 2001-2002 with only 3 pushes. It's hard to believe that 50" would be a record. On the other hand though It has been about 10 years since we have had over 10 pushes. I don't do the statements but we are somewhere around 15 pushes and 25 salts. I'll have to check tomarrow, I have been sick with flu symtoms for like 3-4 weeks. Not fun plowing when your sick !

13. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

I QUIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy:

Until the next snow fall.................... :eek:

14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The Farmers Almanac is witchcraft or something, they are clueless. The same guys that are selling the stuff for your engine, that everybody says is snake oil is probably the same guy that does the forcasts for The Farmers Almanac. It's going to be interesting to see how much snow the northeast gets out of this so called storm. Unless they pick up a bunch of moisture from the ocean, they are in for a big surprise.