1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SVO plow truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by zabMasonry, Feb 2, 2008.

1. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Anybody running veg in there plow truck.

i;m thinking of buying, a diesel plow truck and converting it to run on veg to increase my marin while plowing.

2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Xtreme 4x4 on spike tv installed a great system on a suzuki check out powerblock.com for details
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

as long as your diesel truck was made in the last 10 years or so, there really isnt much converting that youll need to do. I can run WVO right now without doing anything. The only problem is, WVO gells up around 40* i think so unless you have a tank heater you might have issue. Also, some trucks cant start on pure WVO, you need a smaller tank that has diesel in it, start it on diesel and then switch over to to the WVO tank.
  4. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

plowin on WVO

I have been running a Ford F350 Superduty for a couple of years on WVO. Therea re many good conversion kits available, however theres a lot more to a succesful WVO program than droppin the coin for a kit.

1) Do you have a source of raw WVO?
    2) Do you have a foolproof cleaning system?
    3) Do you have adequate storage..... must be heated.
    4) Do you have the time to collect, clean, and store WVO?

Just trying to help. I got into it and didn't really realize the level of commitment required, however I think I have a very good conversion and I know I have an excellent cleaning system. PM me for more details. Allways willing to help.:)
  5. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Veggin PSD,

I'm aware of what is involved in running veg. i've been collecting veg for over a year now, i don't want to lose my source, ( i've got 200 gals stored), but I had no idea if anybody was running veg while plowing.

Do you run into problems with it while you are plowing or do you just run diesel in the winter.

6. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

keep us updated if you run it. we made a mini torch using water and a 18v battery the other day. cool stuff
  7. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I run veg everyday of the year. In the powerstroke aned Jetta. I'm processing as needed in a gravity fed continuous feed centrifuge that I made. Filters last 5000 miles plus on the powerstroke and never plugged on the VW before the oil change at 6000 mi.

Processing and collecting- bout 200 gallons a week in the summer and 140 every ten days in the winter. I also do a little heating with it....payup big savings!