1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suzuki Carry?? anyone using one.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by show-n-go, Dec 2, 2009.

1. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

2. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

3. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone know what 14 states they are legal in?

4. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I wonder if the Suzuki has the same power as the Mits that he's running. I thought they would cost more.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

They are NOT legal in Iowa

6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i know guys that put salters on them around here

7. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I've got two. One is a 1999 Kia Towner, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed, propane powered. The other is a 1992 diahatsui HiJet 4x4, gas, 4 speed.

As for fuel economy - Certainly not 45 mpg, more like 24-26 mpg. Other owners have told me their trucks are getting 50 mpg, but I haven't been able to achieve such results.

My trucks are rigged up for shovelling crews. They hold a crate with bags of salt, shovels, backpacks, and a snow blower in the box perfectly. The cabs are very tight so you don't have room for a lunch bag or spare jacket with a passenger. No space is wasted in the cab or box and the trucks are outfitted with ingenious little accessories that increase their practical workability. Best of all, both trucks can fit in one car stall saving precious space in the shop.

I hooked up a v plow to the 4x4 diahatsui last winter for sidewalks. The plow was poorly built and way over priced. It cost me $3100 cdn shipped. Didn't end up articulating in the middle as promised, was 2 inches narrower than the truck in its fixed V position and I had to replace just about half the steel and double up mounting mechanism the first night of use.
    Once the plow was beefed up and extended, the truck plowed sidewalks perfectly @ 48" wide up to 10" of snow. That is until I tried going through a 2 ft hard packed drift. The plow crumpled underneath the truck, ripping off the front bumper. Awesome ride.

I may try to resurrect the mini plow this winter, but the suspension really couldn't handle the current weight. It sure was nice cruising around at the full speed limit and hopping right on to a sidewalk without any loading or unloading. I'm using a quad and skidsteers for the sidewalk routes this year and the times have been brutal in comparison.