1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suv Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by CURLERIC, Jan 15, 2006.

1. CURLERIC

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

Hi,
    Buying A Hitch Mount Spreader For Back Of 2005 Durango. I Like The Buyers Model Because It Unpins And Folds Down For Access To The Rear Hatch. Would Like To Hear Feedback From Anyone Using One,
    Tnx Much,
    Rich

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I dont have one but I have heard good things about that Buyers SUV spreader.

3. CURLERIC

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

Tnx Popo,
    Rich

4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

They are junk.If you are going to spend the money get a good one.I had one a few years ago and spent more time shaking the spreader to get dry bagged material out or manually spinning the spinner to get it going.Western/fisher is a nice setup and curtis has a decent hitch mount one

5. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I have one and as long as the bagged material is dry It works great. Mine has had almost 30 pallets of salt run through it and no problems.

6. CURLERIC

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

Hi Bugthug,

Do You Have The Suv Pro Model With The Auger Or The Cheaper One? I Didn't Realize Pro Had Auger. I Brought Cheap One & When I Put It Together I Realized Motor Was Under Spreader And To Operate You Open Gate And Let Salt Fall Out. It Does Seem Like It Would Just Let All The Salt Pour Out, I Haven't Tried It Yet. I Hope This Is The One Your Talking About And It Works Ok?

Tnx,
    Rich

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Curleric I have the one your talking about and have run 3 thirty bags pallets through it with no problems , yes some times I have to shake the hopper, but you don't loose the material sitting still however, you do have to close the gate when transporting. Now if you are gonig to large lots then get a commercial one.

8. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I have the suv pro it has the auger.

9. CURLERIC

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

buyers

thanks dj & bugthug,
    rich

10. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

I have a buyers commercial spreader and it throws bag salt excellent ,I have not had any problems with it at all but the plug at the rear of the truck , and they replaced it with no ?'s asked .. As far as bulk i can throw bulk and sand through it too but the vibrator has to be on. so far its been three years and haven't had any major issues ,also keep in mind they are also more forgiving if you back into something . just my 2 cents payup

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW all spreaders have issues when trying to use wet or damp material- be it salt or sand or feed. My big spreader (about 3 yards- bed mount) has even has diffaculty with wet material- wet clumps. Vibrators are the best accessory to solve the problem, but I would recomend looking at the auger model (the Pro) as the base model.

Oh. and resist the temptation to buy a "feed spreader", which is a plastic 55 gallon drum on a hitch mount frame (buyers makes them), it has no shut off valve so the material cannot be turned off. It's not meant for sand/salt.

I speak from experiance- brand new one sitting in my shed I bought several years ago trying to be thrifty- now I have to figure out hoe to modify it to be useful which will probabily cost as much when done as buying one of these!