1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SUV Personal/Small Jobs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KenFred, Jan 26, 2004.

1. KenFred

KenFred Junior Member

I bought a 2003 explorer last year and recently moved back to NJ. I thought about buying a 2004 Ram but would take too much of a hit on the trade-in.

This is what I am looking to do:

Put a plow on my explorer and plow residential and small parking-lots (7 eleven, and bank parking lot type lots). Is this feasible and if so would you do it?

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If it's 4wd then there isn't any reason not to. Go for it.

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

if I remember correctly, Ford will not honor the warranty if you put a plow of it.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

well you can use a homesteader or that subranite ford will kill your warranty if you add a remote starter so maybe go with a meyers or a western plow

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

can be done stay ahead of the storm though

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Look into Blizzard. I think it is better than a Homesteader for what you are looking to do.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I plowed with a Bronco II with a 6 foot Myer's for 4 seasons. One thing you got to remember is you can't plow with the big dogs.
    But, you can go where they can't or hate to. Go with the lightest plow you can get that is at least heavy duty enough to last. I am sure someone will post here a good choice. I added heavy duty springs and shocks to handle the weight. I had a Danna 28 front axle you should have 35 I do believe, be cool on stacking snow. They tend to shear U-joints on the front axle shafts if you spin the front tires alot under heavy load or after a dead stop/ start. Change the auto hubs to manuals. Add a battery with an isolator and bigger alternator if possible. (small tight areas you will use pump alot) Have an add on transmissions cooler too, it will save you a blown tranny from heat build up.

And finally: Consider sub-contacting with a contractor that has a few condo complexes. Big dogs do the streets,you do the drives.
    I used to do 210 drives in 8 hours each time it snowed. This bought me another truck at the end of the season.

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

When my Bronco II got totalled it left a void in me I have yet to fill.

9. KenFred

KenFred Junior Member

MickiRig,

What type of contract did youhave with the contractor? What you did sounds interesting to me. Were you paid by the drive or hour?

Thanks.

10. KenFred

KenFred Junior Member

MickiRig,

What type of contract did youhave with the contractor? What you did sounds interesting to me. Were you paid by the drive or hour?

Thanks.

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I was paid by the hour and got a check monthly or at the end of the season if you like to get a huge check. Contract states what they pay an hour, how it's recorded, that they salt, etc. Being a sub I worked when I could and was able.

I still got my Bronco II, it's in the drive with rusted out cab mounts. It was the best driving vehicle I have ever owned. I have owned 15 vehicles and I liked this one the best.

12. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

my poor bronco ii(89) is sitting behind my p30 with a bad torque converter, I pulled it off the road before it took out the transmission...thinking of selling it, hate to see it leave the yard with someone else .:(