1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by White-Gold, Oct 28, 2009.

1. White-Gold

White-Gold Junior Member

Getting a Boss VXT and an SnowEX spreader (1.4cu yard) for my f-250 HD. I would like to boost up the suspension (back and front). What do you guys recommend - Timbrens, air bags, and/or adding extra spring leaves. Cheers!

PS - how much weight do you think the 1.4cu yard spreader will come too fully loaded
    (spreader is 500 lbs empty)?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Why? Don't need it.

3. White-Gold

White-Gold Junior Member

for sag! 700 lbs on a f250 might be too much

4. grandview

What year? Bet it won't even touch the helper springs.

5. White-Gold

White-Gold Junior Member

1996 ford f-250

6. grandview

Maybe then getting a little old there.

7. White-Gold

White-Gold Junior Member

what would you suggest?

8. grandview

Depends on what you want to spend. Helper springs will help right away ,as where timbrens work after the truck stats to sag.

9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

If the springs are ok then Id some extra leafs put in. The the springs look tired then Id put in all new springs. Go to a good spring shop in your area and they can put in some good springs with some lift. I have airbags in the back of my superduty fr load leveling here and there and they work pretty good. I like the simple maintenance aspect of just adding springs though.

10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

You can't adjust your GVRW, if you are over weight you still get in trouble wether you have helper springs or not.

If you have sag in a f250 put new springs in otherwise get a bigger truck to fit the situation.

11. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

12. White-Gold

White-Gold Junior Member

i dont know if its really going to sag because i have yet to put on the plow. I just want to make my truck last as long as possible (just my OCD kiking in). Plus my gvwr is at 12000 lbs i dont think i will ever have the truck at that weight.

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

a 96 f250 isnt going to have a GVWR of 12000#s. Thats the GVRW of a 450 in that year range.

14. White-Gold

White-Gold Junior Member

I have a NSC on my truck and bumped up the gvw to 5000kgs (12000 lbs) so I wont leagally be overweight. I do know that the vehicle will never be able to handle that weight. I just want to get my suspension top notch for my new plow. How can I do that? What do you suggest?

15. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

What else do you use the truck for? If this is it then go with new, beefier springs. If you use the truck with much less weight in the off season, look into bags or timbrens as the beefier springs will give you a very harsh ride when unloaded. Just my $0.02!!