1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension & Winter Prep ??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ridektm, Nov 10, 2005.

1. ridektm

ridektm Junior Member

I just purchased a 1986 F250 with a western pro plow and custom made back blade. The plows have been on for 10 years and the original owner used it to plow his driveway and the lot for his business. The suspension seems a little soft. I am thinking of adding rough country add-a-leafs and timbrens to the front and rear - Does this make sense or should I just replace the stock springs with beefier units??? I don't want to break the bank, but I want to do it right the first time.

I've also tried to target the potential break down items;
    *radiator - pressure test, new fluid and hoses
    *new batteries and belts
    *serviced hyd pumps replaced hoses
    *new brake pads
    *replaced diff, transfer and tranny fluid (also filter)

Any other pre-season maintance advice or potential problem areas to inspect before the snow flies. I'll just be doing some family driveways and possibly my son's day care parking lot.

I also purchased a safety light with twin rotating bulbs. Anyone know where I can find a mounting bracket or pole that attaches to the truck bed?

Thanks for any help!

2. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I'd look into new springs. Sometimes they don't cost that much and it'll be simpler than adding on.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

I`d say with that old of a truck, replace the springs. If it was newer, you can probably just add timbrens.

Since you only use the plow occasionlly, having new springs will give it a better ride on the "off" days.

If you want to go one better, add both. You`ll have a "normal" ride when the plow is off.

But when using the plow, even with new springs, Timbrens would still probably come into play and would "help" the new springs.

As far as maintance goes, one word rises above all other areas....TRANSMISSION ! Have it serviced, and if possible, install a tranny temp gauge for observation.

4. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

My front springs are sagging pretty good. Especially with the plow raised. I found these springs and am still contemplating getting them. I want to see how well it does in the snow first. It I have a lot of trouble with it, I'll probably get them...

vvvvvvv Click the link vvvvvvvv

Bronco Graveyard