1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suspension upgrades?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nickxlachapelle, Aug 25, 2015.

1. nickxlachapelle

nickxlachapelle Junior Member

Ok so I bought a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a plow setup already on it for a steal of a deal. The thing is I've only ever plowed with a kubota skid steere. I know the blade that's on it is too small for the truck but I have no idea if this guy even had the truck setup right for plowing. I more or less bought the truck and it happened to come with a plow. Im just wondering what kind of suspension upgrades Id need in the front end to put a 7'6" blade up front, if any. I've been told of timbrens, but can't seem to find any that fit my 4x4 model. Any help is much appreciated, Im only doing a few neighbors driveways with the plow, not streets or big lots.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What size blade is on it now?

Timbren part number.....DF25004B. That wasn't that hard to find fyi.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. nickxlachapelle

He had a 6 ft blade thats not wide enough to span the tires. And I had searched the timbren website before but couldnt find anything so thanks

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That plow is fairly light, timmies may not be needed.
    Try some counter weight instead.
    200lb-400lbs in the box located between the wheel wells and the tale-gate.
    This will balance out your truck, and level it out. making it much safer to drive in slippery conditions and it will aid in traction while plowing.

Adding the weight behind the rear axle will actually take some weight off of the front axle.

if the front still is taking a nose dive, it's very easy and easy to do just using hand tools to change out the front coil springs .
    This is easier than you may think.
    1. loosen the sway bar but do not remove the nuts leave them at the end of the bolt.
    2. Remove the bolt at the bottom of the shock.
    3. Jack up your truck so the wheels are off of the ground.
    put jack stands under your frame. remove the wheels.

4. At this point you can push up on the shock and compress it all of the way up.
    5. While trying to hold the shock up grab onto the lower front of the spring and pull it forward. It should come out with a little wiggling or try rotating it.
    remove both springs and install the new springs at this point.

you can get springs from the junkyar, napa your local ram dealer.
    here is a chart and the spring #'s for that year.

as for the plow being narrow, get a set of "wings"

Capture.PNGspringguide.PNG

PlowWeight1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That photo explanation of how ballast works needs to be a freakin' sticky somewhere!

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No, let's see how many times this year it gets "referenced" lol

7. nickxlachapelle

Thanks everyone, Ill see how this works out. Havent even gotten the truck home yet, just wanted an idea of how all this **** works. With a skid steere we never needed any counter weights or anything so this is all new to me

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

fyi Your skid-steer was built with the counterweight already attached to the back of the skid.

9. nickxlachapelle

Thats what I mean SnoFarmer, I was just handed the keys and told to go plow, there was nothing I had to mess with myself.