1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suspension upgrade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rochester, Sep 6, 2001.

1. rochester

rochester Junior Member

i have a 98 silverado long bed. 350 motor. 7.5 ft western plow. front end squats a bit and bounces a lot . looking to beef up the front end . also i dont want the front taller than the back so thats gotta be raised if the front is. ill be doing about 25 driveways this winter. im looking for low cost options here.

2. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

front end

it all depends on what kind of suspension youhave. I have a 95 K2500 , and although I don't have a plow for it yet, I'm sure when I get on that the front end will sag a bit. I have been told that if you have torsion bars on up front you can turn them up and down as needed. But make sure you keep track of how far either way you go so that when you're done for the season you can return it back to stock. I have a 83 c3500 with a 8' plow and the front end sagged BAD. So I took it to a suspension shop to have heavy duty springs put on. The springs were $200. BUT after they took the old springs out each side had one "rung" broke AND the whole front end needed to be rebuilt. so $800 later I have a 2wd dump that sits as high as a 4wd and doesn't sag more than a 1/2 of and inch with the plow on. I doubt that you'll have to go that route but I'd check about the torsion bars first.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I would try for the torsion bar but you can also use the timbren rubber springs.I have them on my K25 HD and they work great place they give a good ride becuse of the rubber .Look them up at www.timben.com torsion would be the chepper way to go the timbrns might run for the front about $140

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking of getting 3/4-ton torsion bars for my truck ('96 K1500), but I think a set of Timbrens or Muscle LSE's from NAPA would be a better choice. They don't increase the ride height of the front, and they're not supposed to make the ride suffer either.

Tim

5. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Guest

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

have a 2000 1500 short box and put timbren load busters in the front. it really helped the front end out. it doesnt squat nearly as much as it did before.

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have timbrens on the front of my 98 K-3500 and the front and rear of a 99 ranger
    Another vote from me.
    Dino

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I hate timbrens! But that is just me. I have had problems with them both of the times I tried them. For a work truck I would rather just upgrade the suspension. Heavier springs (torsion bars are springs) is the way ro go as far as I am concerned for a plow truck.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I dont see what kind of issues one could have with the timbrens. Mine took a 1/2 hr to install, and I have been very pleased.
    Dino

10. cthom

cthom Junior Member
    from MO

Air Shocks

Can you just ad air shocks, would that help?