1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension-Torsion bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by forrest.treutel, Nov 22, 2011.

1. forrest.treutel

forrest.treutel Junior Member

I drive a 95 chevy 2door tahoe with a 7 1/2ft meyer straight blade. Ive had this setup for a few years now, and it has taken a toll on my suspension. (Indep. Sus.) I even tried to adjust my torsion bars but they were already maxed out. So i guess my question is does anyone kow of any solutions to this problem? Iv done a little research on swapping the torsion bars out with 3/4 ton bars that would be able to stand the front end abuse that comes with plowing, but yet i still dont know if this is plausable or even possible. Iv also looked into air bag suspension alternatives. but i have yet to come across any made for my rigs front end. So all that has left me here asking if any of you have wise words.:mechanic:

2. forrest.treutel

forrest.treutel Junior Member

also does anyone know what the adequate ballast for my set-up?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That should be the same ft. end as a 1500. so you should be able to get some timbrens for it. Another route that might be an option could be a coil over shock set up. Some shock companys offer those, but you would have to do so digging to find out which ones. Hope this helps

4. articstorm

articstorm Member

I'm completly not sure, but your truck might also use keys on the torsion bar between the cam and adjusting bolt. Timbrens also.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Get the TIMBRENS, They advertise here at www.truckspring.com , It will be way easier to install timbrens than to change the torsion bars. once you have Timbrens, you will never plow with out them again.

6. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Leveling keys, $60 on ebay and 400 to 500 pounds of ballast. Keys are easy to change if you have the tool to do the job.

7. herbert02

herbert02 Member

You want to go with a set or forged torsion keys. It will raise the front end up to 2.5". Timbrens really don't do much. You will also need shock extenders to compensate the lift but strongly suggest extended shocks. Much stronger.