1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suspension sagging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by White Oak, Feb 12, 2005.

1. White Oak

White Oak Member

I bought a snow plowing business this year to add to my landscape business. The business came with a 1989 Chevy 2500 (100,000 miles. The truck has the independant front suspension which makes the front a little bit higher than the back ( or atleast there is more room in the front wheel well than the back). For cosmetic reason only how can raise the back of the truck about 2-4 inches so the truck looks level. Was hoping a pair of higher performance shocks might do the job. I was trying to avoid any type of lift kits as it may be beyond my mechanical abilities never having messed with axles before. Thansk for the help.

2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

If the tires are wearing evenly and this is not your primary vehicle, I would leave it alone. The age of the vehicle does not warrant spending any extra money on it.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Shocks will not help the height, unless they are air shocks.

What you have is a case of worn out rear springs. If the truck is in good enough shape to keep, and I am assuming it is or you wouldn't have bought it, a few dollars will get you the results you want.

You can buy clamp-on overloader springs for pickups--anyone with a ratchet set can install them. I bought a set from a clearance center for about $20 but I think they are typically priced around $100-200 for a set.

My package you can select between 500,1000, and 1500 lbs extra capacity by moving a 'button' to different holes on the spring which controls the preload. Remember, stiffer rear springs will make the truck ride a little more harshly, but thats the way it was intended to be on the rears, so this would probably return it to stock specs very cheaply. Probably this truck was used for long periods of time with a loaded toolbox and fuel tank onboard or something.

4. White Oak

White Oak Member

you hit it on the head truck was owned by a mechanic who plowed in winter. Always carried 1500 lbs of tools. Have any links or ideas where to buy springs from.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Summit and Jegs both offer overloader kits, but I am sure any truck accessory dealer (or even auto parts store for that matter).

My set was made by Superior if that helps...