1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension Question On A New 2500HD.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mike 97 SS, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hey guys. The other day I had to stop by my local Chevy dealership to pick up a part for a job coming in the following day. While there I saw a very very nice brand new regular cab dark green 2500HD parked in the back, with the nicer forged aluminum wheels. I had to stop and check it out. It was a diesel with the Allison trans and had alot of options, the sticker price was like $37,000 or so. Anyway, it had the snowplow prep option and it said something about having the heavy duty suspension. I got down on my hands and knees to get a look under it, dont ask me what I was looking for, just wanted to take a peak. :D While looking under it, I noticed these big white bump stops, that looked huge, much bigger than the factory ones that were on my truck, and what really puzzled me was the fact that they looked like they were cramped in there. With the truck just parked normally, and no plow, they were already touching. My question is, is this part of the snow plow prep package or do all 2500HD's come with these regardless of plow prep package? With these things in there, I see no need for Timbrens, they seem like they would hold the frontend up fine. With them already touching top and bottom, the frontend probably cant even drop at all, from the way it looks. I wonder how the ride is affected also. Im sure some of you guys know what Im talking about, maybe your trucks came with them too. Mike

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

23 views and no responses?? :realmad: Mike :D

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Be patience there buddy..... :D

As you know, I have '02 2500HD and my father have '03 2500HD. Both 6.0L gas engine. Mine has the snowplow prep package and my father's truck do not have that package. Both our trucks have the factory yellow bump stops, nothing similar to what you described. Maybe it is only option for Duramax trucks, but I have been reading their forum and have heard nothing but just yellow bump stops.

I would guess that what you saw under that Duramax truck probably has aftermarket air bags? It would make sense to me, unless it cannot be done to a truck with torsion bars front end. I have no experience with air bags, so I really cannot tell for sure.

I think that someone else probably will know what it might be.

Stephen pumpkin:

4. myo

myo Senior Member

I have a 03' 2500HD w/ Duramax, haven't looked but I will tomorrow and let you know if I got the white bump stops

oh ya, i have the snow plow prep package too!

5. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I would have to guess that it is after market or something to do withe the duramax. Mine were yellow before I replaced them with Timbrens. My truck has the 6000 engine and snow plow prep package.

Ray

6. myo

myo Senior Member

Looked at a 04' Duramax on the dealer's lot today and it had the yellow bump stops. I looked for white beefed up bump stops on any 2500HD or 3500 and did not see any. My guess would probably be an aftermarket part or something.

7. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

My '02 Dmax has the regular ones... Yeah, I know I need to get my Timbrens installed. They're in the box, right by the truck in the garage. Sounds like a good thing to put on the to-do list... It never snowed after I bought them last winter, so I was able to jsut keep putting it off. :eek:

8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thats weird guys, there were for sure white, bright white. When you guys says yellow, do you mean like mustard yellow or just a dingy looking white, so you consider it yellow? These were definitely not aftermarket, truck was brand new sitting out in the back. It was a diesel with the snowplow prep package also. Oh well, no use in making a mountain out of a molehill, just was curious to what everyone thought and if anyone else has these in their 2500HD's. Mike

9. wxmn6

Mike, the bump stops color is bright yellow, somewhat very similar to Fisher snowplow color. ;)

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Well all I can say is these were white, and they were in fact bump stops. Maybe its the new and improved kind? LOL! Mike :waving:

11. SCFALL

SCFALL Member

Bump stops

I work at Flint truck & Bus ( GM ) we build the 4 door HD and yes the bump stops are white and touch with the truck just setting, but they are made of a soft compound unlike the Timbrens. Scott

12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

my 03 reg cab dmax alli with the plow prep has yellow ones and they do just touch.

I got timbrens sitting on my garage floor too....another thing on the too do list :rolleyes:

13. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

SCFALL, thanks for clearing that up for me, now atleast I know Im not going crazy and wasnt seeing things! Not that it matters, but how come some are yellow and some are white? Does the color indicate anything, such as how much weight they can carry? Mike

14. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

'02 4dr 2500HD D-max, square yellow ones... I didn't have the plow prep package, though... Are those exclusive to the plow prep?

15. UPS

UPS Junior Member

Can anyone show a picture of these bump stops? I'm not sure I know what you are talking about...lol:drinkup:

16. SCFALL

SCFALL Member

Mike no difference just different suppliers I suppose, but I will ask when I go back Friday. Scott

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thanks SCFALL, sounds good. Mike :)

18. SCFALL

SCFALL Member

All White

Talked to the guy who installs the front bump stops, He has been on that job for 3 years and said they have always been white. I wonder if thats maybe a difference between 2 and 4 door. I will try to catch an Engineer on the floor. Scott

19. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thanks for the reply SCFALL, but thats kind of weird because alot of the guys here are replying saying they have yellow ones. You could be right though about the 2dr-4dr differences. Mike :)

20. wxmn6

So Mike, was it 2 or 4 doors that you saw at the dealer?

Since mine is extended cab, so it has four doors. ;)