1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension on GMC 2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by smh, Nov 6, 2003.

1. smh

smh Junior Member

Ok guys here is my situation, I've got a 01 GMC 2500 without the snow plow prep package. When my Meyer plow was installed the truck rode too low in the front, with the plow in transport. I had the dealer crank the torsion bars to max setting, it still didn't come up as high as I wanted it to. The service tech "Mr. Goodwrench" told me I had 6000lb bars on my truck, he said if I upfitted with 9000lb bars it would solve my low front end problems when toting my plow around. Did it ever I had them installed and talk about bringing it up!! Now I would say it's raised 3 to 4 inches. Up so high I had to get blocks to put under my rear springs to even the truck out! I must say it looks sweet!! Especially with the 265/75R16 I had put on, I can't stand those 245 tires they put on the trucks at the factory! Now to the point. It rides like a tank, very rough and bouncy! With raising my front end and having those stock shocks are they stretched too far and not giving me the support I need now. Is a shock up grade going to solve my problems and if so should I do the rears to.:help:
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

First off, shocks don't "support" anything, all they do is suppress bounce.

The rason the ride quality went down is that now you've got too much spring rate (it's still called spring rate even if it is a torsion bar) for the weight you're carrying. As a result the suspension doesn't give like it used to.

Suspensions are a compromise, you can have good ride or load capacity, but it's pretty hard to get both in one package.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it raised the truck 3-4 inches,that's too high.The suspension is almost topped out at that height,and has very little room for downward travel.Longer shocks won't solve it,as the rest of the suspension isn't designed to run at that ride height.Turn the bars down some,and lose 2-3 inches of the lift and get the suspension back to the factory geometry.

If you want lift,buy a proper lift kit.
  4. smh

smh Junior Member

THanks for the input. Maybe I exagerated a little when I said it raised it 3 to 4 inches. I put 2 inch spacer blocks under my rear springs and that evened the truck out. The factory shocks weren't "suppressing" the bounce well enough for me so I put 4 new shocks on today. Not longer but heavier duty shocks and it did make a noticeable differance in the ride. It is still bumpy but you can feel the shocks taking the blows and not my back and head. I was only looking to raise my front up some, my plow frame stays on year round, and I didn't like botteming out on gravel roads and construction sites. I will deal with a little rougher ride for load capacity.:D