1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension Modification Recomendations

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by procut, Sep 10, 2005.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

I have an '01 Ram 1500 that I will be putting a 8' Western Pro Plow on. I was planning on putting on 2.5" lift coil springs and timbrens. Will this be enough, or should I consider air bags/shocks or something else? Thanks.

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 2500.instead of springs. i used front leveling spacers. the only problem i see is just because the springs are longer doesnt mean there designed for the extra weight of the plow . maybe you can put 3/4 ton springs in the front.

john

3. danno

danno Senior Member

I had the 2" level spacers, along with timbrens, and a 3" body lift. With the size tires I run, 235/85/16 winter, and 305/70/16 summer, the tires looked too small. So I removed the spacers in the front. Now the truck looks just right.
    With a body lift, the suspension stay`s the same, so the plow angle isn`t affected. With the timbrens, they just barely touch the axle. With the plow on it goes down maybe an inch, since its making contact already.

After I add rear ballast, it sits like there wasn`t any plow on in the first place.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Get the 047/048 diesel springs and you'll be set.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I second that, get the springs , it ts the best and simplest solution to your problem, you'll be glad you did..

Lift kit springs are soft(not made to carry the added wight of your plow, your truck probably will sag even More with them) and timbering's are just bump stops on steroids and spacers just cover up the underlying problem.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  6. lumps

lumps Senior Member

yeah, softer springs are better for offroading (more flex, etc.) so lift kit springs are generally softer.

anyway, i'm in the same boat, ram 1500 with a boos 8'2"v. i'm probably gonna get springs. i've heard mine came with like a 21. should i bump up to the 37/38, or go straight for the 47/48? i'd like it to hold the weight of the plow, but i don't want a harsh ride.

7. procut

procut Senior Member

Does anyone have any idea where I can find 2500 springs. None of the junk yards around here have any, and the dealer wants $175.00 a piece.

8. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I have a Ram 1500 and a Western Ultramount 7'6" and I went with the 3500 diesel springs. I bought them at the dealer, they were ones that they had on their plow truck and took off when they sold it. I asked them about timbrens and they said they don't recommend them, but they do work. You might want to check with an aftermarket parts place like Napa or CarQuest because they can probably get you the same parts for hald price. Have fun!

9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Those 47 48's will make your truck ride like a 2X12 down the road. They are made to hold up a motor that weighs 1100 #s more then your gasser ! I would personally run the 37/38 and get timbrens if there is still an issue.
    Oh and the dealer springs are the best and they should be 175 for 2.
    Check out e-bay there are a few Dodge dealers on there selling parts for reasonable prices and they are genuine mopar parts.
    Todd

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

My 01 came with #38 & #39 stock for the plow prep package there O.K. but I too used the #47 & #48 spring combo on my 98 sheep head and I love them.
    Yes, the TRUCK does have a firm ride to her now, no more boulevard cruiser :waving:
    This is a work/plow truck not a grocery getter, the truck now sits level and only drops 2 to 2 1/2 inches with the plow on,(a boss 8.2 V ) It is all most imposable to bottom out with the plow on. It handles better too,
    Remember when TRUCKS use to ride like a TRUCK ,before every girlyman started using them as daily drivers to look cool :eek:

11. lumps

lumps Senior Member

if it were strictly a work truck, it'd be fine. i used to work for the local town highway dep't, and i'd be fine driving around a full size loader or dump all day. but this is my only vehicle (save my samurai, but that's a not-street-legal offroad toy :D), so this is what i work with, and what i drive to school every day, take my son on trips in, etc. so yeah, i'll probably end up wimping out and getting the 37/38s.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

apples...or...oranges
    Cadillac ...or.. truck
    water..or...snow
    A...or...B
    I drive mine every day too, get at minn the #38 & #39 combo, you will be glad you did.... really...no kidding.... What ever you decide were just trying to help.. good luck plowing..

13. lumps

lumps Senior Member

so, does anyone know what rating a set of springs off a ram 3/4 with just the 360 and no plow prep would have? would they be that much stronger than the springs on my ram 1/2t with the 360? or should i look for something out of a diesel? thanks

14. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

ok guys i just had my whole rear-end rebuildt on my 96 1500,and last year i blew a bearign when i was driving and i managed to get it back togethe enought so i could drive it( i basicly riged the frotn u-joints and all that so i wouldnt replace them), well this year it took the toll i had it in the trans shop for the rear end problem,and he took a look and had to replace the r&r spindles and bearign and ujoints so do you guys think im ready for my ultra mount???? the ttruck has 135,500 mile son it

15. danno

danno Senior Member

16. lumps

lumps Senior Member

so here's something i was thinking about the other day.... yes, i can put 1ton springs on the front to keep it from squatting, but would the jarring from harder springs wear out my front axle components quicker? so, should i keep the soft springs so as to be gentle to my axle and deal with the squat, or will the springs not make that much of a difference in how quick the front end wears out.?

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

NO! the stiffer springs will have a firmer ride to them, Yes.
    your axel is UNSPRUNG weight.
    Stiffer springs do not where out componets.
    It's the weight of the plow and plowing that wears things out faster.

18. danno

danno Senior Member

For the amount of time you carry a plow, I`d go with the timbrens. As long as the springs aren`t "shot" to begin with. You won`t notice them on 99% of the time. Heavy springs mean hard ride If that`s what you like.