1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension Lift Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by repo_man62, Jan 6, 2007.

1. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

My 'Burb currently has a 2" suspension lift in the back...leafs to axle. Front has none. The front springs bow upwards.
    Today..I aquired 2 things....two 3" lift blocks with u-bolts (NEW) (not homemade) and 2 spring leafs that are 27 5/8" long.
    What I'm going to do is this...take the 2" blocks out of the rear. Put in the 3" blocks.Pretty simple.
    The front only has 2 leafs on each side.
    Then...I'm going to put the 2"blocks in the front that came off the rear along with the new leafs.
    My thought is this...since the front sags...adding the leafs AND the 2" blocks, SHOULD level AND lift the truck up.

Here's my question...Will this affect my steering?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Repo, I'd highly discourage running lift block's in the front. If fact, in many state's front lift block's are illegal due to the extra side to side stress that a steerable axle can place on the blocks and U bolt's causing them to loosen and the block's to move around.Not safe at all.

3. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

What about the leafs? Will that help it?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are the leave's out of something,like another truck,or are they like an aftermarket "add a leaf"?

5. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

They're out of a 3/4 ton Chevy.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, you could put them in but your not gonna gain the height I think your looking for.Even an aftermarket add a leaf wont add more than 2'' of lift when added to the stock spring pack.

7. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

definatly stay away from the blocks in the front i bought a blazer many years ago when i was a young buck and put blocks in the front what a scary ride it was after that you could acually feel the flex in the steering when ever you made a turn. as for lift have the springs rearced and add 1 spring it will give you close too 3 inches of lift.

8. I'll sell ya my brand new Skyjacker softride 4" lift if ya want. Brand new, never installed. Includes front springs, rear blocks, u-bolts, dropped pitman arm and 4 shocks. $400 plus shipping...

PM me...

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's a good deal! I paid about $600 for my 4" skyjacker lift.

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

A 4 inch lift is perfect for those trucks. Another option is find a 3/4 ton and swap the front springs (I'm assuming yours is a half-ton?), should be able to do that cheap. I wouldn't expect much out of adding 2 leafs to a saggy spring pack, and lift blocks in the front are a big no-no.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

4 inch gives great looks and better ride. also you can get away with 35" tires . or 33 if you run a plow to make sure you dont rub the fender corners and keep the plow a little closer to stock.

and NEVER EVER RUN BLOCKS IN THE FRONT . there is a 1" block style kit for the front or rear tho thats safe and leagal. but it is basicly for 4x4 offroaders who want ot move there axles ahead to help klear the fenders. it bolts in with the center pin. it is called a zero rate leaf. but what you need is the actual lift kit.

if you realy want to find out some super info and hang with the best chevy solid axle truck guys try www.ck5.com tons and tons of info over there. and i use the same screen name over there if you want to look me up.

12. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

another good website to look at is www.pavementsucks.com lots of info there also. and i use same screen name also there.