1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension Lift and Plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Caneplow, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I am going to take this question to my dealer also but I was wondering if anyone here knew if a 2.5 inch lift would affect the plow or plowing in general?
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Alot depends on the plow you end up choosing, but the a frame needs to be level to the ground when plowing. They have some play but not to much. When you get out of level it puts extra stress on the push points and trip mech.
    Most mounting kits have adjustment holes, so that you plow level.
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well the only thing that i think that it will do is change the blad scrape angle and mayby put more strain on the fram if you hit something.I not sure but that's almost 3" .I was always told to keep the blade angle low.Some of the other guys might know better than me. This is only speculation and i would check with the dealer to be safe.
  4. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Dino, I am 90% sure I am going with the Boss V 8'2" plow; I am going to chat with my local dealer and Boss directly but I just didn't know if anyone had experience with this type of configuration.
  5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know from experience, but I have heard it is alot easier to do frame damage when the truck is lifted. It lowers the "push point" of the plow, which will in turn try to twist the front portion of the frame downwards. If you do lift it, I would suggest going to a shop and getting some reinforcing done on the frame, just to be on the safe side.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

A few questions....

What make and model truck do you want to lift?
    Why do you want to lift it?
    What brand of lift?

7. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

01 Dodge Ram Diesel QC; Skyjack lift 2.5inches; why? I want to beef up the suspen. for plowing; I am making sure that I reinforce everything; we have two plow trucks and this is my personal truck and I know it will be used for plowing next year since we have gotten more business.
  8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I put a 1.5" (it was listed as 1.5 - 2") lift on my brother's 95 Ram 1500. It ended up being about an inch when it was done. It sits as high as a stock 2500 now. The kit came with 2 new front coil springs, and add-a-leaf for the rear.
    With the diesel motor, I'd assume the truck has heavier front springs already. Make sure they know you are buying the kit for a diesel.

I asked why, because it was possible you wanted to fit larger tires. Possible you wanted the lift so the truck looks better.

You might be better off with load boosters, and your factory springs.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The lfit wont stregthen the truck for plowing, in fact it may hurt it. The higher center of gravity will make the truck more unstable, and move all the steering geomety, wearing the componet quicker. Load boosters or air bags will do more to help then a lift kit. the coils in lift kits are uaually bigger but not stronger. Worst acse put the sprimgs froma dually on it, but check first they maybe the same springs.
  10. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

I would not go with a lift kit however that is your preference. I just took one out of a Ford F250. What a headache. If you do go with the Boss V their mount has a wide range of adjustment holes that should cover most vehicle heights (within reason of course).
  11. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

I think I am going to start with Rancho LSE Ballast and maybe some of their heavy duty shocks; I think that should be more than enough for me; I don't really care about bigger tires...

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Npalomba, I have air bags on my truck and thats what I would recomend. If you click my link in my sig you'll see that its a simple but very effective way to lift a truck a couple inches. Another thing you'll see is that some modification may be necessary to mount them to the frame (notice that the top bracket only has three bolts, not four) with a plow attached. The other advantage is that you can deflate them for a stock ride when your not plowing. The disadvantage is that it is not sturdy enough for things like off-roading, so you do have to be a little careful in what you use them for. Good luck !
  13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

That Dodge will handle the Boss V fine,it wont squat it down enough to worry about needing a lift.Save your money and time the Dodge already sits perfect height for a plow truck,any higher,you'll need a ladder to get in,any lower and it'll get frame hung like my GMC,and chevy's do.
  14. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Thanks John, I thought it was, I just wanted to make sure from people with more experince than me. You could only trust a dealer so far without checking others that have no vested interested in getting my $$$
  15. BillNero

BillNero Member

V Plow & Lift Kit

I think you'll find that a lift kit and a V Plow don't mix very well. I fyou need to do this - make sure you have the lift kit installed before the plow so the installer can lower the pushbeam to keep the a frame level.

When I first got in this business 20 some years ago - lift kits were very popular. Typically on a straight blade you could get away with a 4" kit. Anything more than that and the end of the blade raises off the ground as it nears the end of the full angle.

Conversely - an a-frame too low also drastically changes the "Attack" angle the plow was designed for. If the a-frame is too low - the moldboard leans backwards. It then takes much more energy to trip the moldboard obviously greatly increasing the risk of damage to the plow. If it is too high - the blade has a tendency to float over the snow thus not doing a good job cleaning.

The level a frame is even more important on a V Plow. If it is too high or low - the center or the ends will be OFF the ground. That is also why the manufactures recommends loading your ballast PRIOR to installing a V Plow as that can change the geomotry as well.

Sorry - didn't mean to ramble on but V Plows aren't cheap and it needs to be setup correctly from the get go.

Bill Nero
  16. Caneplow

Caneplow Senior Member

Thanks Bill for the input; I have an appointment with my Boss dealer to discuss. But, I am sure that I am going to stay with what I have.
  17. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I've never done anything with lift kits, but as I see them they are intended for bigger tires, and/or more suspension travel in an off road environment. The only way to tell if they would increase the carrying capacity is to compare spring rates between stock and lift kit components. I tend to doubt that they are any "stiffer" than stock, as the increased off road travel is usually accompanied by LOWER spring rates to allow greater wheel articulation when going over obstacles. An extreme example of this is found in the off road racers, where they have extreme lift but relatively low spring rates to absorb the terrible pounding those vehicles have to absorb. If you want to increase load capacity of your suspension the best way is to visit a good spring shop. The one here is very good at determining what you need to increase load without lift the vehicle and introducing the problems associated with lifting, ie raised roll center, driveline angle and driveshaft length.