1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suspension help needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mass1589, Nov 28, 2012.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

hey guys i own a chevrolet K3500. the rear suspension is great when towing i havent had any problems. i bought a vbox spreader for the bed this year and it handles it well but i think any more weight like sand or salt will be too much. besides air bags, what can i do for a cheap way out?? i dont care if it rides like a cadillac....i have one for my DD:D..... i have haerd of an add a leaf?

2. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

How old is the truck? I had to re-spring my f-350 after 10 years of hauling a gooseneck trailer day in and day out. Wasn't all that spendy. I would seriously look into airbags vs a add a leaf, because when empty it won't ride anymore like a buckboard then I'm sure it already does. But a spring shop could probably throw a extra leaf or 2 for reasonable money.

3. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

A plow and salter on a 1 ton pickup, add me to list of thousands of illegal trucks then!

Abbotfarm- what air ride are you thinkn?? Im thinking suspension in the rear can be rock solid, it had the sander in it all winter and when this truck does see any use in summer it will have a trailet loaded with skidsteer....

4. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I have firestone ride rite's on my wifes f-250, love them. I think they were under 300 bucks for the basic kit. No on board compressor though, which is not a issue because you can just add air to it like you would a tire.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

timbrens for the rear if you want.

6. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

U have a set brad?? Or r u saying get a set

7. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I ve got timbrens on my 2500. They work good.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I put airlift bags on my 97 K2500. Fantastic improvement, worth every penny.

9. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I think if I had it to do over again I would go with the airlift. They are only about 100.00 more. My friend talked me out of them. He said they will break if your not careful when the truck is jacked or on the lift. Not sure if its true though.

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

These rubber devices look attractive because they're relatively easy to install. If you're going to do something though, do it right. Heavier/more leaf springs.

11. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I have had both air springs (old truck), and timbrens (new truck).

Air Bags Advantages:
    Adjustable
    Do not bottom out-with timbrens, with a partial load, the ride can be harsh as the axle comes off the rubber, and hits it again.
    Help the truck sit a little more level

Timbrens Advantages:
    Much easier install
    Much cheaper
    No need to ever adjust air pressure-riding with high air pressure in the air bags made for a very harsh ride when empty
    Better side to side support-(I had an onboard compressor, which meant a "T" for the rear bags, which allowed air to move from one to the other. This made the sway much worse when heavily loaded)
    If someone borrows your truck, you don't need to teach them how to adjust the air pressure.

Having had them both, I would definitely go with Timbrens over air bags. And I would go with either of them over add a leaf. If you do go with air bags though, get the onboard compressor. Worth every penny. But the timbrens are still better IMO........

12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

No sry. Ive never had a set actually.

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

as a installer of aftermarket parts i can say with no question firestone air bags.

all the sets i have installed not 1 person wished thay had not installed them.

best option in my opinion over all the others. and also most newer rides thay have them set up for no drill bolt in or 1-2 holes only to drill.

and if you go to summit racing web site and pull up the set you need thay even have the direction posted . click it and read up before install to make sure you have tools at hand.