1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension Gurus could I have your input!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Craftybigdog, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys I have a 2001 Dodge 4x4 2500 Auto and I dont have the plow prep package what have you done to the front springs to beef them up I went to the boss plow site and they dont recommend a plow for my truck how do I fix this problem because I see alot of trucks with this setup, thanks!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

With the Cummins you get the same springs as the plow prep package,so no worries there.There are heavier springs available,but I wouldn't go that route,as they will kill the ride quality.You can check the spring codes by reading the little tag on each spring.You can decipher the spring codes from the link at the end of this post.

All I would do is add a set of Timbrens.The truck will squat less,and it will help keep the front end up when driving with the plow on.A good set of HD shocks wouldn't hurt either,as the stockers are garbage.

Another thing you can do is add ballast in the bed,or make a ballast bumper.I usually run a 400 lb ballast bumper and a few hundred lbs in the bed.Makes for much better real wheel traction too,as these trucks are really light in the back end with the diesel and a plow on.

Dodge spring codes

3. DIESELRAM30

DIESELRAM30 Member

I HAVE A 99 RAM 2500HD AND WHEN I PUT MY PLOW ON THE FIRST THING I DID WAS PUT A 2" LEVELING KIT IN THE TRUCK TO GET RID OF THE RAKED LOOK, IT CONSISTED OF 2'' SPRING HATS AND FOUR RANCHO RS 9000 SHOCKS, I HAVE 305/70/16 PRO COMP X TERRAINS ON IT AND WITH THE PLOW UP I DON'T COME CLOSE TO RUBBING THE TIRES, AND I SACRIFICED NO RIDE QUALITY, ACTUALLY THE NEW SHOCKS STOPPED MOST OF MY BODY ROLL AND MADE THE TRUCK RIDE BETTER