1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suspension fears

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rmartini27, Oct 7, 2011.

1. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

I have been plowing for about 10 years with my 94 2500 with a 5.7L. The truck has a 8' Fisher plow that must weigh 7 or 8 hundred pounds. I have a 2003 GMC 2500 HD with a duramax. As some of you already know I've decided on a XV, I would love to get the 9.5' XV but the 1000+ pounds is making me nervous. Have any of you guys tried tweaking your torsion bars for a little extra height? Also installed timbrens? Do you think if i do both I will be OK? I know I am going to have to add some weight to the back, I just don't want to have to add 800lbs. I drive the truck every day and gas is expensive enough without an extra 1/2 ton in my bed. Thanks for the input

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

No no no no, bad idea. The 9.5 xv weighs alittle more then the XLS. Which was really too heavy for my truck, which is only a 6.0....take into consideration I had upgraded keys, bars, and timbrens. Yes it was a recommended plow, but not in my book. It was way too heavy.

Is the 8.5 even recommended for your truck? I would run it regardless, but not a 9.6. Buy timbrens whatever you do, and jack out the torsion bars at the very least.

3. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

REPOMAN that my friend is the problem. The recommended blade sizes for that truck are a 7.6 SD and a 7.6 HD. the engine for that truck is very heavy. The recommended ballasts are SD 390lbs the HD 1000lbs. That equals no gas milage.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

preciously, I ran 700lbs in mine....650 probably would of done it after I added timbrens. With a few upgrades on your front end, I think the 8.5 is your best bet. As your aware, many of the dealers won't sell you it installed. So I would get your assembly hat on, and plan on spending a day in the garage. Which isn't a bad thing, you'll save yourself around $400.

If, and when you get ready to do it, let me know, and I'll PM you my number in case you run into a snag. I've done several of these now..

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A thousand pounds in the back is not the difference between good MPG and bad when lugging that plow around pushing snow. A thousand pounds in the back IS the difference between having to use four wheel drive all the time, spinning your tires, and happiness for your frontend. Use the ballast, you'll like it.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

I think he was referring to the fact that he would be carrying that much more weight around all season long, even when not plowing.....most of us don't remove it through out the season....atleast I know I don't. I could be wrong, but that's what I took it as.

Up till 3 years ago I didn't bother with ballast.....boy was I stupid, it's like night and day. Half the time I forget to put it in 4X4 when I arrive at an account.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I do that too somtimes. I throw 800 lbs of sand bags behind the axle and don't need 4x4 much here. After our slushy snow turns to ice, then it's a different story.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Can you say..........slip & slide! It just makes for more fun lol.

9. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

I have been using that other truck on that truck I have about 700lbs in the back of the bed. That truck was not my everyday truck I just used it for plowing. I agree that it is a world of difference, and would not plow without it but a 1/2 ton in a daily driver when im dropping the weight off the front is going to have that truck running light in the front end, I would think. Maybe I will just put 500 or 600 in the back. If you guys think that would be enough?

10. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

REPOMAN Yeah I was planning on doing the install myself. This would be my second install. When I talked to your guy at Langs he said that they wouldn't be able to do the install. Thanks for the help I will be sure to take you up on that just in case. I would rather do the install it helps me understand the way everything works, so when it doesn't I know where to look.

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

preciously! I like your style man. :cool:

12. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I agree on the self install. then you know how plow goes together and how it is installed. I did my own XV in the garage in about 5 hours taking my time and running everything how I wanted.. Also put the timbrens on last year much easier on the front end and run lots of ballast and i dont notice much difference in mpg with the duramax

13. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

I wouldn't do it any other way I will be putting the timbrens on next weekend. hopefully