1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension Bushings

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NerdBoy74, Aug 7, 2002.

1. NerdBoy74

NerdBoy74 Junior Member

I recently bought a well-used (beaten to death) 76 Chevy Stepside.

It came with a 4 inch suspension lift, blocks in the back and aftermarket leafs in the front. My problem is this: I need to replace the poly bushings on the front leafs, but I have no idea who the manufacturer is. I have the measurements of the bushings, but all the local 4x4 shops have been quite unhelpful.

The leafs are not tapered, so the bushings are quite different from the stock, and the ones on there now are black.

I don't even know where to start looking for help on this one. Any ideas?
  2. chevy

chevy Member

All springs I have encountered weather after market or stock replacements had the same bushing diameter. A single center pilot shaft and two piece bushings. The one piece bushings I have run across all came pre installed, but a shop press can over come this senario. As far as what kind to use I would imagen any poly bushing manufactor you preferred. Get them for the year of your truck. The ones you might have could have been some sort of rocket scienist engineering and came from a rambler parts car.
  3. NerdBoy74

NerdBoy74 Junior Member

The stock springs on a k10 are tapered. The ends are wider than the middle of the spring. The aftermarket springs with the lift are not tapered, and are, therefore, narrower where they mount to the frame. The bushings are made to compensate for this by having a wider flange on them.
  4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I am actually in the middle of replacing all the bushings (one of many projects that's had this truck on jack stands for the past 6 weeks) on my 83 K10 and have purchased an Energy Suspension full kit for the truck. It has all the bushings for the front and rear springs, sway bar, and body mounts and cost around $115 from summit racing. I'm pretty sure that you can also order individual bushings and kits, and you might check out their web site. So far the fit and finish is very good, but I haven't driven the truck yet.

*Look for a long post rambling about all the upgrades when I'm finally done.

5. NerdBoy74

NerdBoy74 Junior Member

My problem is that I have no idea how to identify what lift kit is on the vehicle, or who to talk to about ordering bushings by measurements. All the mail-order outfits I have tried have been somewhat uncooperative, (most of the big names) reasoning that they have no way of knowing what size the bushing that they sell are.

A friend of mine who is in the industry, once told me that you can sometimes tell who made it by the color of the poly bushings, but he had no clue who made what colors.

Anyone know if this is true?