1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suspension/ bottomed out

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by roachy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

I just put my western plow on (99 wrangler) and noticed that there is no suspension left. The front springs are bottomed out on the bump stops. Would it be bad to temporarily plow like this or could I potentially mess something up.
  2. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

It will be a rough ride and could beat up the jeep.
    Airbags in front or new springs will help.
  3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

4. NjGoomba

NjGoomba Junior Member

the BIG question I have is "Whow much clearence do you have from the bottom of the plow to the ground with the plow fully in the raised position" if its less than 4 inches DO NOT even drive with the plow on. I have seen some major damage done becasue the plow got caught up on th eroadway during travel. (I say this becasue it happend to me, so I am speakign from personal experiance unfortunaltly.
    So the right thing and get new sprrings. I went with spring 1 inch higher in the front than in the back so the jeep sits nicer with the plow on and engine weight ect.
    good luck! and safe driving!
  5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

The spring is not the only answer. The nice thing about air shocks is that the Jeep's ride doesn't change. Put the plow on, pump them up and go. No sag with the plow lifted, drives great, etc. Pull the plow off, lower the pressure in the shocks and you're back to smooth cruising and the front end isn't higher than the rear. I always put sgs in my Broncos, but have used the air shocks in my Jeeps (as many others doith good results. Again, there's already a ton eading on here about it.
  6. wpeterson47

wpeterson47 Junior Member

I swapped springs on my TJ for ZJ or WJ and it added 3" of lift. Get the ones off a V-I jeep. Cheap, inexpensive. Check out the different Jeep/Wrangler forums and they'll have info on what'll fit.