1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suspension Boost For my TJ

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by jdavid, Dec 3, 2007.

1. jdavid

jdavid Junior Member

I just bought a 99 TJ and a 6.5 meyers plow put on it. It also has a warn winch on it, so it needs alot of help in the way of front end suspension. Our options seem to be:
    1. New Front Springs
    2. Timbrens
    3. Air bags for inside the springs

I'll Be posting a pic soon!
    Thanks Guys!
  2. jdavid

jdavid Junior Member

Let me know which you thing is best
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Why take the winch off when you put the plow on? Timbrens and air bags will make the front so stiff it will rattle your teeth out. Go with springs or air shocks. with the shock you can adj the air pressure to match the load.
  4. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Are you just worried about the sag upfront and want to make it level again?
    If so, you could just put some coil spacers on it.
  5. jdavid

jdavid Junior Member

We did add some coil spacers - didn't do much though.:mad:
    Air shocks sound like a good idea... didn't even think of those!
  6. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Airshocks or airbags are the way to go. Both will work and both can be regulated in terms of pressure/firmness. I have airbags which per the manufacture are at 10psi in the off season. You don't know they are there. As far as install, the air shocks would be easier.
  7. jdavid

jdavid Junior Member

Thanks! We'll be looking into picking up some airshocks this weekend.
    (now that i've finally got mry shop in order):nod:
  8. jdadjstr

jdadjstr Junior Member

jdavid, let me know what you have to give for airshocks. I have the same set up as you.
  9. jdavid

jdavid Junior Member

Hey, here's a new problem!
    I Can't seem to find Gabriel(or any other kind of air shocks) for a TJ. :confused:
    If they don't make 'em, we'll have to go with air bags.
  10. theplowmeister

from MA

Nobody Lists an air shock for the front. I did some research ( max length compressed length... )
    and came up with some shocks I have to look up the number. I'll post it tomorrow. I put air bags in the back of my BMW in 1975 ( I did a lot of camping then) and found the ride so stiff even with NO air in the bags. That it became dangerous, the rear would hit a bump and bounce around into a spin.
  11. addicted

addicted Senior Member

I installed airbags in my front springs. They work great. I am pretty sure I posted about it. do a quick search of my posts. They took about 2 hrs to install, because I have to have everything PERFECT, but they only cost about $40 on ebay.
  12. theplowmeister

from MA

I dont have the shock number I have a 4 1/2 lift in my jeep so my shock wont fit yours
    if you go to "http://www.gabriel.com/documents/2006_catalog/2006%20Gabriel%20Catalog%20final%20Reduced.pdf" you can look up mounting and lengths and find a shock to work for you.

Reference F
    Page 270

Reference F
    Page 269
  13. jdavid

jdavid Junior Member

Thanks, Plowmeister.
  14. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

do a search for front air shock i have seen something around these threads about an older thunderbird rear air shocks working for the fronts. If not the Air Ride air bags do work awesome i have them on mine it will take some time to install since you have to pull the springs in front to do them.
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

85 Thunderbird rear shocks interchange
  16. CJPlow

CJPlow Member

Thanks Basher I knew you would chime in LOL:)
  17. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

You actually do have to pull the springs...BUT you don't have to unbolt the control arm. Get a spring clamps and tighten them down, and remove. Saves a step or two.
  18. moshiersr

moshiersr Junior Member

Personally I have Grand Cherokee springs (from one with a V8) all the way around on my 04 TJ, gives it about a 2" lift, and controls the sag amazingly well. It is a little stiff unloaded, but it also helps nose dive when I am winching..

Just a thought. Only cost me $40 and a couple hours.

I have the same plow setup - Meyers 6.5..