1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

suspension airbags vs leafs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dlongerman, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

okay guys I'm squatting really badly and need to do something I have a F250 short bed extended cab with the V10. I have a Wideout in the front. and 2 tons of salt in the back and a snowex 1075 swing mount salter. Im looking to put a pull plow in it... Daniels is telling me I need 17" Im at 10" any suggestions?

budget.... none....so the cheaper the better... but if Im doing somthing I want it to last...

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I put 2 extra leaf springs per side and a 4 pack of helper springs on our 06 when it was new. Its always had a trailer hooked to it or a lot of weight when salting. So far its held up really well but the price was around 1,200.00 to do it. This year we bought another truck, an 05 F350 and opted for the Firestone air bag set up, much easier to install (bolt on, no drilling or welding) and I paid 289.00 with free delivery from SuspensionConnection. So far, so good. You have to check the air pressure a couple times a week but again the price difference is huge. The capacity is an extra 5k lbs. I didn't get the compressor but would be a nice upgrade but like you, on a blown budget! Waiting to buy a under bed tool box so I can put it in there.

3. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

yeah the compressor is something to get once i get some $$$ again.....

Would u put the bags on a truck again?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  4. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I put Timbrens in the back and the truck hardly squats no matter what. The bad part is it rides harsh when not loaded. They were under $300 and I installed myself in less than an hour. Next time I might try Sumo Springs, similar product but I think they ride nicer.

5. Brian Young

I just put the one pair on last week. So far we put the poly v box on, salted with about 800lbs of salt and towed our skid steer to a site. They work very well so far. The truck used to squat pretty bad with the skidsteer hooked up but now everything is level. I've seen trucks running them for years and no issues. Even if you get 5 years out of them your still well under the price of adding springs.

6. Brian Young

BTW I only put 50lbs of air in so far (thats what the directions said to do for a few days) but it leveled everything off very well. I wish I would have just done this in our 06.

7. Brian Young

I never liked the idea of Timbren's. With more leaf springs or air bags the weight is always supported.

8. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

another question... what brand?????????? Hellwig? Firestone? or Air Lift?

they all have a 2 yr warranty....

9. six4powerstroke

six4powerstroke Member
    from CHICAGO

i have firestones in my 05 superduty and they are great. No need to add leafs and get a harsh when unloaded.You can get the airbags with all harware for under 300$.