1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Surprise Surprise Surprise

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Oct 10, 2009.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

How can you tell when the weatherman is lying? Their lips are moving.

1st storm of the season.

5pm last night "an inch on the grass, it's much too warm to stick to the roads or walks"

Wake up at 3am, snow covering the walks, coming down hard. (BTW, at 8am it's 16 degrees, no idea what it was at 3am)

Lying (*&^$%#$#&*(((

Get 'em up, get the plows on, get rolling.

some places, just a trace and need salt on the walks (no plow here) and most of the walks needed done. Some had 3 inches. North of me about 30 miles they have 6" on the ground.

I am NOT in shoveling shape.

But, I made a little money payup(not much, almost no plowing, but every little bit helps)

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear Brian.

Hope all went well for you, despite the surprise.

Good way to get the adrenaline flowing. :laughing: :dizzy::eek:

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Thank God it's not here!!!

I think I would just about have a stroke.

4. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

I think i need to start going for my morning power walks again. hahaha

I am sooooo not in shape!

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Just looked out the window and it's snowing here! :eek: Just flurries thank god. I would not be ready if it accumulated.

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

glad to hear it. we got a half inch and earliest salt app in company history... iced up good through mid morning. glad one of our guys handled it while I was sleeping!

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Ha..my sister in Minnesota called this morning and said there was 1inch on the ground. She is supposed to be sending me pics.

8. Snowmans Land

Snowmans Land Junior Member

We got caught with ice in Denver metro. I had patrols out all night with reports of light snow. Nothing sticking though. I came in at 1:30 am and did my rounds all all seemed fine. Light snow (if any in most locations) and mist. I am kicking myself in the *** because the road temps dropped rappidly and all iced up at approx 7am. In the 30 minutes of this happening I was making calls to my crew (Get up time to roll). By that time it was too late. Note to self - "self if the surface is wet and the temps are low (20 deg) there is a real good chance that it may freeze". I should of had my crews out if anything driving circles and waiting for it to happen. Nothing like the 1st real event of the season to put you on your toes. Unfortunatly it was ice and not snow - seems to be much easier to manage. As sad as it sounds it seems that everyone was in catch-up mode by that time. Also as sad as it sounds, by the time of my next post I may be looking for work.

9. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Yup, You are a true business owner, let the next in line take care of it.. LOL, Ive had surprises like that, No snow tonight the weather man says, wake up "just to check" at 5 am and there's 3" and is coming down like mad.... hit the door running.:gunsfiring:

10. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

we had out first snow today in northen lower mi. woooohooo but the ground is still way to warm and it was only 34 degree. its coming though :)

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well it is your fault. If he said no snow that was a clue right there to get everything ready.

12. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

hey premier, where did it snow 3 plus in wisc, here in se wisc we had flurrys for about 30 minutes, it may bring more signed proposals in though.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I sleep easier if I have the alarm set for 2 or 3. Only takes a second to peek out the window and check the radar on my phone.

14. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I think we all have those wake up, holy crap and have a heart attack mornings.

15. rm25x

rm25x Member

We just had a heavy frost.
    I guess I need to get cracking on finishing up the ATV for plow duty!