1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

surging

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ohiolawnguy, Jan 7, 2002.

1. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

our 96 dodge 2500 5.9L 360 engine has been surging on and off for quite some time. it usually happens when the truck is warming up. this happened last night about five minutes after i started it while preparing to go out plowing. i have cleaned the throttle body a few times, and this seems to help temporarily, but ONLY temporarily. once the truck has run for more than an hour straight,the problem seems to disappear. any ideas, or thoughts?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

You probably have an intake manifold leak (very common with 5.9L) and the lean warm-up is causing the IAC to hunt.

Go to http://dodgeram.org/ and search the TSB section for how to fix.

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

thank you for the info. ive been looking for a site like that to help diagosing problems. i dont really think it is intake manifod leak though. oil consumption isnt really a problem. IE a quart per every 1,000 miles. but, it is possble. it could be that the PCM is malfunctioning also, as stated at that website.

thanks again, kevin

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What is the mileage?

I have never owned a Dodge but to me a quart of oil per 1,000 miles on a 5-6 year old truck is high. I know that my Fords and Toyotas don't burn that and I have an 87 4runner with close to 300,000 miles.

5. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

im sorry ct18fireman quart per 1,000 miles is what dodgeram.org considered to be unacceptable. our 96 uses a quart at about 2,000 miles. the mileage on the truck is about 47,000. 98% of those miles have been either while pulling over a ton on the trailer, or pushing snow.

now on the other hand our 98 dodge(same truck with SLT package) has been using a quart per 1,000 since the day it left the dealership brand new. it now has 43,000 miles on it

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Just seems a little much even for a hard working truck.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Although oil consumption is a symptom, it not always occurs. I was referring more to a vacuum leak causing the surging.

Peer down the back of the block, this is where any oil leaking from the intake will first appear.