1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Surface Temperature Sensors - Who uses them?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by peterng, Jan 21, 2012.

1. peterng

peterng Senior Member

As my interest in liquid rises I wonder how many of you are basing your decisions with the help of surface temperature sensors.

Its got to be a must have from what I can gather. Same day sunny site, cloudy site, in the wide open, surrounded by trees or proximity to large buildings there must be massive differences between air and surface temperatures.

If they are anything like air pressure guages, you don't want a cheap one I imagine eh ?

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If you decide to get one, then yes, you will want a quality one.

Bosch, De Walt, Ingersoll Rand and Fluke all make decent ones. If it were me I would go with the Fluke mini 62. You can order and buy from most MAC Tool guys. Or if you prefer to buy online Amazon.com has a bunch listed as well.

Here is a link to Amazon.com with one listed

http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-62-Mini...ower-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1327247514&sr=1-4

3. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Glad you chimed in. I didn't find anything like that when I searched on the net.

That's a little beauty ! Think I'll order one today.
    Thanks,
    Pete

4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to rain on your parade but my 12 dollar inferred gun thingy works good for my needs...

5. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

12 bucks . Man I still over paid for ours at harbor freight. Where did you find one for 12 buck?

6. Plow man Foster

Ebay, it takes a while because its coming from china but its one of the best i've found, for the money that is!
    YES everyone says.."oh its garbage" but i compared them with my 50 dollar Milwaukee and they were right on! In a couple cases the ebay one was 1-2 degrees higher but if it says the pavement is 10* It could actually be 11 or 12* either way i know i SHOULDNT be spraying!

My bad they are actually 14.68 now... Just bought a couple more! they take like 2-3 weeks to come in sometimes! :eek: only downfall!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Contact...ltDomain_0&hash=item4cf9fd4789#ht_5454wt_1165

7. peterng

peterng Senior Member

wow getting cheaper all the time. I got a quote last week from some outfit that supplies the provincial goverment here and their cheapest handheld unit was $600.

If you've bench tested that unit I'll probably go ebay to get sarted. Thanks Fos
    Pete

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

When you order that unit from China I hope you remember it the next time someone lowballs you out of a job. :realmad:

9. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Did this just go from constructive to destructive ???

10. Plow man Foster

I think So!

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Not destructive at all. Are you sensitive?
    When you buy the unit from China I just hope you take a look at the American economy and our allies across the pond(as they say) and know that the electronic gadget put together most likely by a child, that has been long since brainwashed and beaten into submission by their government, working for pennies a day just so "We: in the USA can save money. But ,some, will still complain about losing a job to a lowballer.

Just the facts, not destructive.

12. Plow man Foster

Don't come at me like I'm the bad guy for buying foreign made products! We all know its not right! But I bet if I raided your home- wait let's go smaller, YOUR truck. I could find a **** load of foreign products! EVERYONE is guilty of this! Its never going to change, just the way it is!

13. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Gawd reaper you remind me of my hens. Now for my banty tone :)

Right now, given our current financial outlook, we don't have the $100 to spend if there is a $20 option. I am not a pro deicer and don't need the $100 option. I am curious, not mission critical. Sorry, it's 20 or nutin.

Unfortunately I am blessed to deal with respectfull people every day. It is a sore spot to come here and have to see such a negative discourse on a regular basis.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  14. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I have a dc amp clamp that came from sears and its made in china. Im willing to bet that even some Fluke units are made in china too.