1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by caz1, Nov 30, 2004.

1. caz1

caz1 Member

has anyone ever wole up in the morning and had a surprize snow strom the night before let here the stories does anybody wake up a couple times a night to just check if it snowed :salute:
  2. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I will be up several times tonight because we are going to get some snow. We do a bunch of gas stations and a P.O. that have to be done before 5:30am.
  3. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

Last year they said that it was supposed to be clear one night. I woke up at about 3:45 in the morning, got some water, looked outside and had a heart attack. Called all my guys and went to work. Gotta love those sleepless nights sometimes.
  4. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Kind of makes it a good idea to keep the coffee maker nice and clean so it makes the coffee fast when you need to run.

With the variables involved in this business you must stay on top of the weather. Not just counting on the forcasters but also doing your homework by watching radar sites and temperature trends can keep you better prepared and help avoid nasty surprises.You don't want to be caught sleeping at the line (for those of you familiar with drag racing).
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

With the wealth of free weather info availible on the Internet you really should not get "surprized" anymore. I do normaly get up between 3 and 4 am during winter thought, snow or not.
  6. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Should never be suprised, that is part of being a professional!!

I have a gym/workout lot on account that opens at 5 am, It is a big lot so I have to be in there by 4:00 as lots of people start showing up at 5.

Wake up every night to check ANYTIME there is the slightest chance of snow or ice. My worst case scenario is not having all accounts done before they open.
  7. mickman

mickman Senior Member

Now you know everyone gets exicited exactly like you were in school, hoping for a snow day. But now we get payed to play in snow. I hardly get any sleep
    when snow is forecast. We can be out for days, and I can't go to sleep until after I crunch the numbers......then it's lights out!!!!
  8. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I sleep just fine waiting for it to snow, been doing this to long to get upset about it.
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If there is even slight talk of snow my plows are atleast redy to be hooked up. If i think its going to be plowable, the plows are on the night before, trucks gassed up, and i wake up every few hours to see whats going on.

Take the last storm we had for example (november 13+14), at least half of the plowers were in no way prepared for snow. Nobody wanted to believe that it was going to snow 6" so early in the season. They said on the weather that it would only be a dusting, then as it started to turn to snow they said 3-6". A few people panicked and started pulling out their plows. Most did not. Very Unprofessional. I had both plows on and redy to go all day when it was raining, the temp kept dropping so i figured it would begin to accumlate. I get out to start around 3am still snowing, state roads are plowed, town is starting to plow. As far as gas stations, 24 hour stores, office parking lots, etc. none of them were plowed until about 1 PM when they should have been plowed by 5am. Why, because all the losers slept and the profesionals (town, state, a few landscaping companies) were prepared. Then all they do is complain about the storm because they were out drinking all the day/night before "we werent supposed to get this", I had to dig out my plow, blah blah blah. Commercial customers were not happy.
  10. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I like to scare away the snow

Wehnever there is a possibility for snow, my truck is all raedy to go the night before, I check outside ever two hours at night, and while it usually acts like a big beacon to tell the storm to stay away, I sell my relliability, and part of being an Eagle Scout has taught me to truly always be prepared.