1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Suprise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mike Fronczak, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

I took my 99 K3500 in because coolant was disappearing. Dealers says needs the following:
    Head Gasket- $ 1200
    Idler arm- $ 200
    Power Steering pump $ 200
    Pitman arm- $ 200
    Steering stablizer- $ 125
    Alignment- $ 75

Truck only has 41,000 on it. Glad I got extended warranty, all cover but stablizer & alignment. Service writer says rare to see head gasket go, front end stuff from plowing. Seems like a lot of wear for 41,000. Oh well, truck will be in shop for two days.

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

What motor is it? Thank goodness for warrantys.

MT

3. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

seems expensive for a steering stabalizer!?

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Besides the power steering pump,and head gasket,the rest is normal wear and tear,how long is that warrany,because next time you go in,your probablygoing to need ball joints,and another pitman arm, if you go in every 40K.Dont think this is a GM thing,Dodge,and Ford are not one bit better,they all eat front end parts,with plows,and hard use.The extended warranty paid off this time,good thing they are honoring it with the plow.

5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Engine is 454, warranty is for 100,000/5 years. I asked about plow before I bought it. It is nice to have, cost around 1400-1500 if I recall correctly, I know it already paid for itself. Work is being done at Chevy dealer so costs are probably higher than my normal mechanic would charge(steering stabilizer), I know he told me the alignment & stabilizer would run me around $ 200.00, I have to pay for those, I wasn't going to question him. Funny thing is truck still drives straight, and doesn't wander around the road(as with other times front end parts hve worn out on other trucks), same with power steering, no leaks? turns fine? I don't know, I'm not the mechanic, and those parts I'm not paying for. Dropped truck off this morning, will pick it before weekend.

6. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

just be glad you caught it quick I was at the machine shop the other day and was told that dex cool antifreeze realy eats bearings badly he has gotten 1 motor a week lately that started as a small head gasket leak and turned into a rod knock I remember from my days a gm that dexcool was nothing but trouble and on all my familys vehicles I have flushed it out well and put in the good ol green stuff

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dexcool seems to eat engine parts,especailly head gaskets.It becomes very nasty after about 4 yrs too,its supposed to last 5 yrs,but it really should be flushed out at 2,and regular antifreeze put in,IMO.My brother in laws 97 blazer has 65K on it,so far,1 radiator,1 heater core,1 intake gasket,and a lower hose,this stuff has to be corrosive,it supposed to be good until this march,we added to it after the radiator,and finally got smart and put green in it,no more trouble,my 95 blazer had green in it from factory,156K,so far,only a water pump,at 135K.