1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Supplier raises price

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ultra, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Ultra

Ultra Member

What do you think about Angelos the supplier that wants 2500.00 up front to be a preferred customer and then will only sell to prepaids. Also raises to 98.00 per ton from 49.00 a couple of days ago. Michigan is supposed to be rich with salt mines. I dont understand about the shortage is this just a ploy to raise prices? As if we dont have enough stress the supplier picks and chooses who to sell to. Angelos told me early in the fall if they had all my info including my credit card number I wouldnt have a problem so I gave them all the pertinent information ( but since I dont buy alot they just kicked me to the curb. :realmad::realmad::angry:
  2. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I'm in CT and they raised their prices last month to....... money out of my pocket for the seasonal Commercial accounts..:realmad: Just like gas ... have to pay the price.ussmileyflag
  3. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

My bagged supplier just raised the price from

$3,29 per 50lb. bag to $4.59 per bag, and we have bought 57 pallets so far this year. Supply and demand I guess.... I called three other suppliers and they have essentially the same price structure now.
  4. Ultra

Ultra Member

supplier raises prices

I dont mind pay a higher price that is not the point the point is turning small contractors down and only selling to prepaids even though they have my credit card on file. What is the little guy to do when you cant get the salt for your accounts I thought all money was green..:angry:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

It is supply and demand. It realy sucks in se michigan right now for salt. My last 50yd load i ordered showed up as 25 and they said thats all i can have. All 5 salt suppiers around flint are either out or have less that 40 tons. Then Bedrock informed me that they are cut off at the mines so they are not taking any orders
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

While it sucks that they do that, it is supply and demand. Not sure I would consider this ethical, but at this point it sounds like they can get away with it. Talk to the AG, almost sounds like gouging to me--the $2500 part that is.

This shortage has been coming for a long time. The season started off with some ice storms nationwide, from OK right through the NE, some areas have been getting pounded with snow, so the shortage is not a ploy. Couple that with the salt mines aren't going to sit on a bazillion tons of salt when only using a quarter of that during recent winters because they have been relatively light in a lot of areas and you have a shortage almost nationwide.

It sucks that the little guy gets screwed, but if other companies are buying 1000 tons a year and you're buying 100, who do you think they're going to give a higher priority to? Not to mention, it's a heck of a lot easier for you to load a pallet of salt for a storm than a bigger contractor loading 20 pallets a storm.

Just a little perspective.
  7. Danhoe

Danhoe Senior Member

Don't do business with them. Tell them why, I am not a big buyer at the Rock Connection, but I get treated good, I might pay more but I am not a number. Angelo's can kiss my mule I will not buy anything any more from him. Every one needs to stop going in there may be his fat head will get deflated. By the way I have had other problems with the Wixom yard before and this was the last straw, he said it was trucking cost's he had to tack on, that is about $ 20.00 of horse manure per ton. His dad was a nice guy I don't know what happened to him. Dan
  8. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I know of some other landscape supply yards that had the option of getting some loads from down south and they turned them down. They would have to pay close to $90 per ton so they would have to sell it in the $130-$150 range and they did not want there customers to think they were taking advantage of the situation. Angelos probably did have to order it from out of state so there price is probably not that bad !!! considering the situation !!!!! Another store around here was getting 300 tons out of Ohio and on delivery date they got a call saying "no go" maybe angelos came in and offered more cash for the tons!!!

Im in great shape!! ha ha ha ..............i have 6-7 yards in our bin and we use about 20 per night. any one got some salt for sale
  9. AngusPlow

AngusPlow Junior Member

I heard the new phone number was 1-800- istick-it-n-u
  10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the whole midwest is in the same situation... probalbly has something to do with the large amounts of snow and the record ice storms in december....i do know last month the IA dot had 70,000 ton backordered from KS mines.....that's just one DOT. the price went from $25/ton to unavailable the rest of the season in 3 weeks time.
  11. Ultra

Ultra Member

I still dont understand Michigan economy is terrible and we are sitting on salt mines. I just dont see there to really be a problem. So much for the little potatoe in the big potatoe world. Now what do I do when I have contracts. I keep my promises My word is my bond I have to spread with bagged salt? Sounds like a great time
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

From the mine to you is not just a couple of days work.

I would even bet they are working with a winter crew. I am not knowledgeable about mining operations but I am sure the guys ain't in there bagging ,skidding and shrink wrapping as it comes out.

Then the logistics of it all after that.

I would bet a order today from the mine would be on it's way to you in about a month or more.
  13. Ultra

Ultra Member

The point is Angelos turns away my money because they CAN they have salt I have money and I am local and they turn me away NOT ETHICAL just a bunch of politics. What goes around comes right back to ya! SEVENFOLD!!!
  14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I see your point.

Is this the same Angelo's that sells parts?

I also agree with the post about price gouging.
    Remember that place the government fined $500k or something for doing the same with gas?
  15. Ultra

Ultra Member

Angelos out of wixom or farmington they have two locations and yes they sell parts not cheap
  16. Ultra

Ultra Member

Wouldnt it be nice if Miejers sold bulk? After all they are open 24 hours! Or even Home Depot
  17. Ultra

Ultra Member

Anyone know who you make a complaint to for price gouging?? Or for selling to some and not others isnt that descrimanation????
  18. Do It All Do It Right

Do It All Do It Right Senior Member

This is what happens when the goverment declares marshall law on something noone gets salt unless u are goverment
  19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have never dealt with them but from what I have read on this site and the way they do biz with guys I am glad I have not.

I have heard nothing good about them from people that have dealt with them in any capacity.
  20. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

How does that work for liability?

I can see them being attached to the slip and falls