1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

superwinch LT2000

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by skidoo, Feb 6, 2010.

1. skidoo

skidoo Member

My snow bear winch crapped out on me this weekend, was in to canadian tire looking for a replacement winch. I was looking at the superwinch LT2000. A guy was there looking at winches too, he told me he put one of these winches on and it only lasted 2 days before he started having problems. Was wondering if any one has had luck with these winches or do you need to buy the pricey original SB winch. The winch that was on mine was a superwinch 2000lb. Whats the opinion on the cheaper winches, am I just throwing my money away buying one or should I buy the factory winch? Thanks for the help.

2. skidoo

skidoo Member

I decided to go with the UT 3000 superwinch, got it mounted, lifts plow no problem seems a bit slower than original. Going to make a few adjustments. Going to run it off the strap instead of the cable. We'll see how the winch holds up.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I replaced mine with either an LT2000 or LT2500 I can't remember. Either way it was WAY faster than the original winch and was about $129. It lasted me a season and a half plowing about 6 driveways and it was big snow falls. I ended up going with MasterLock 1500lb ATV winches after that one died, they were slower but only $70 from Walmart so I didn't care.

4. skidoo

skidoo Member

Thanks for the info plow guy. I took the cable off and mounted the strap, hoping where its a 3000# it will hold up better. I also paid 129.00 for winch, time will tell if it was a wise investment or not.

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You should be good- just keep it clear of ice- that is what ruined my winches. They'd get bound up and literally bend the winch housing so bad that the motor couldn't spin anymore.

6. skidoo

skidoo Member

I ordered a winch cover the other day, plan to keep it on all the time hopefully this will keep ice out and winch dry. I see in the forums where some people have been having trouble with cable snapping, I really didn't like the way the cable was so I replaced it with the strap. I haven't got a chance to give a good test yet I'm hoping for snow this week to see if it works for me

7. ArcticCat1

ArcticCat1 Member

I have a strap on mine, works well, plowed 6 drives today, no issues!:D
    I got a backup strap in case it breaks.

8. skidoo

skidoo Member

What type of winch are you running artic cat?

9. ArcticCat1

ArcticCat1 Member

Stock winch that came wit the plow, a Superwinch SW801-005A.

10. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

I replaced my original with the LT2000 last winter and haven't had any trouble. Anyone doing a replacement, don't forget to silicone all the winch motor seams. It helps keep them from freezing up.

11. h8to wrk

h8to wrk Member

Be careful with a cover. I had a buddy with a winch on his jeep. He put a cover on it and it held in the moisture thus the winch did not last very long. May advice is that if you do use a cover make sure it can breath and not trap moisture.

12. jp402852

jp402852 Junior Member

Switch or Motor

I bought a 2005 RAM 2500 that came with the Snowbear plow - and it was always "touchy" - had to fiddle with the switch to get it left and drop - I have been assuming that the switch was at fault - have the parts to build a new one (rocker switch and two relays)

After reading this thread I am not sure if I am on the right track (last time out I couldn't get it to lift at all - assumed the switch quit all together)

How do I tell if it's the switch or the motor?

thanks for any help
    JP

13. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

Jump the motor posts with jumper cables. If it runs it's probably the switch.

14. yonkoske

yonkoske Junior Member

I had a combination of problems this weekend and ended up replacing the winch that came with my SB200 with this one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92860
    (Item 92860 - 2000lb Capacity Remote Control Utility Winch)

It was darn near bolt-on. All I had to do was widen the holes 1/8". I also use the same control switch that was originally supplied with the plow. The plow lifted faster than the OEM winch and even with 6 layers of steel cable on the new winch. I keep mine in the garage so I can't offer too much help with keeping it ice free.

I had also blown my circuit breaker that was originally supplied with the plow. I replaced it with an inline fuse holder and a 50amp maxi fuse from Napa. All together it was less than $100 instead of the replacement winch from Snowbear at $200+.

15. Kyleb1115

Kyleb1115 Junior Member

i just finished a big day with my snowbear, made me over 700 clean and clear with gas on my sidekick with this 30 inches of snow in the northeast! everything has been great, except just as i get home the winch died (well it will turn but when it gets the weight of the plow gets on the winch it makes the sound as if the gears are bad, its not just completely dead. now i need to get a new winch TOMORROW. hopefully i can find something at Tractor Supply Company, what should i look for there that will work and bolt on. it doesnt have to be the best, just hold the plow up and finish up the season which should be almost over! also heard about that walmart winch, does that bolt right up? does it hold the plow up? i looked and did not find any specific information besides people just saying they got a winch from tractor supply company. any help is GREATLY appreciated! i have driveways lined up for tomorrow=[

16. jp402852

jp402852 Junior Member

Replacement Switch

Thanks MBrooks420 - it is the switch - I found the OEM company (Cole Hersee) and the switch part number (75712-04) (http://www.colehersee.com/catalog_top/index.htm)

I am just waiting on them to provide a local supplier that can quote a price (and hopefully a nicer replacement (rocker?))

I will update once I have more info

JP

17. Kyleb1115

Kyleb1115 Junior Member

just to let everyone know, i was on here before also about the switch. the new style switch works very well and is not big and bulky like the old style. the plow works FABULOUS on my suzuki sidekick sport. the little truck has more than enough to push even the heaviest of snow. worked good with our recent 3 feet of heavy wet snow. was pushing snow almost as high as the hood and a good 10 feet out infront of the plow without any problems. as far as the winch, i went to a harbor freight store and bought the winch that was recommended on this site, the 2000lb 69 dollar winch (or close to that cost) i also got the 2 year UNLIMITED warranty for 10 bucks. the guy said it doesn't matter whats wrong, even if its my fault. considering my plow is not perfectly stock, i mounted it my own way (it WILL work, i just dont have the mounting bracket, my winch is bolted the ghetto way) i also left the 50 foot cable long, thinking it may come in handy if i ever get stuck. theres really no need to shorten it. go to the hardware store and u should be able to hook it to the plow with ease. winch is super quiet (cant even hear it!) and is slightly slower then my previous winch, but for the price and the warranty, ill be buying another so if it does die, i dont have to run to the store asap. so just wanted to let everyone know, and if you have any questions let me know. oh it also worked perfect with the new style snow bear switch.