1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Superplow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by casey, Nov 20, 2001.

1. casey

casey Banned

I am seriously considering purchasing one of these units to complement our snowblowers for use on small residential drives.
    There seems to be many testimonials in the contractors section of the link attesting to the units productiveness. As I have made numerous poor equipment purchases in the past I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on the effectiveness of this product. We would only be using this on small drives with garages, not for open plowing.
    Thanks
    http://www.superplow.com/homeowners.html

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Where can you possibly use that thing that one of your amazingly effective blower crews would not be faster and more efficient?

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Based on your application (small drives with garages) IMHO your $$$ would serve you better if they went toward a Daniels or Snowman pull plow. They're proven units, and I believe a few of our fellow members have had good results using them in commercial service.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2001
  4. casey

casey Banned

Alan,
    Since I value the advice of professionals I will post a pic when our small blower fleet is pulled out of storage to hopefully convince you I am serious about my profession.
    I have found blowers to be effective in my situation but there is allways room for improvement. This unit seems to be a good complement for our present situation.

5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Buy a commerical unit if you are buying one. The Superplow is a homeowner unit.

Gene

6. casey

casey Banned

I've never seen one being used. Do they work? Any drawbacks, limitations? They make alot of claims about the benefits but are they blowing smoke?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2001
  7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

In some markets, you cannot even be competitive without a rear plow.

The SuperPlow is certainly not my first choice.

A Daniels or a Snowman are the better ones that are available nationally.

9. casey

casey Banned

The Superplow also claims to be com grade. What differentiates it from the true com units?
    The threads indicate residential application yet no one seems to use them in our area.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2001
  10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

It sounds to me like they shed the snow to whichever side has the most resistance. No control over it. That in itself puts it in the toy category.

11. casey

casey Banned

A toy on its own but what if a backplow was used in conjunction with another unit be it blowers or front plow to clear garage fronted drives?

12. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, a real back plow, not this gadget! But even then, why use a plow when your blowers are so efficient? A pull plow will compliment a front plow, but where can you not blow the snow out of a place that you would be able to pull it out of with a rear plow? Besides, with a rear plow on it's going to be a lot harder to get blowers on and off the truck.

13. casey

casey Banned

Was thinking of running a backplow & single stage set-up for some larger drives. Will keep a trailer set-up for our majority of small, side by each drives. Nice to have as a back-up as well.

14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

But why would you want to give up the unbelievable efficiency of your all blower operation?

15. casey

casey Banned

As I said before, there is allways room for improvement.
    & why is Superplow a gadget compaired to a "real back plow". Is it an MTD-Exmark type difference?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2001
  16. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Casey,

Just a few days ago you were telling us that you only target small residential driveways. Now you're talking about "bigger" things. PUHLEASE! Make up your mind.

And yes, it's sort of an MTD/Exmark comparison on the plow. This thing apears to be of relatively light material, no ribs, I don't remember seeing any trip provisions on it. And it is free to flop around in some sort of self angling "wobble mode".

Besides, it's some sort of convoluted logic that would want a pull plow for your primary plow anyhow. Since you already have (maybe) the single stage blower, why not use that to clear in front of the garage and use a normal plow to push the rest? I'm trying a rear plow this winter (SnowMan) but it is to compliment a front plow, not to replace it as the primary snow moving tool.

17. casey

casey Banned

Alan,
    Just as we have corner lots in the city we also have larger drives which are part of year around contracts. There are not enough of these drives to justify a front mount plow on one of the vehicles. This unit looked like a good alternative to the expense & wear&tear a front mount plow would incur. Since I have never seen one being used or used one I have no idea if it would be a wise purchase. It would get limited work on larger drives and serve as a backup in case of a severe fall.

18. Kent Lawns

Actually the self-angling feature works quite well.

What the plow lacks is downpressure and a real sturdy attachment structure.

(The moderators views lack experience, are narrow-minded, are argumentative and condecending.)

19. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

How much downpressure do the rear plows you use have Kent?

Have you ever seen any homemade ones in your area?

20. Kent Lawns

I've seen about everything out there.
    (Including all patent filings and many manufacturing facilities)
    (We have our hands in the pie of 3 markets)

Most rear plow operate between 1200 & 2500 psi hydraulic pressure. The actual pressure on the cutting edge will vary due to hydraulic cylinder angle & size.