1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Superior Snow & Ice #23 @2,6000,000

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KCAPXIS, Dec 4, 2006.

1. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

GEI media ( Snow magazine ) ranked Superior # 26 at $2,600,000.00 I asked for ( via Internet ) a quote for a commercial property that I own, I received some numbers via email that were a little steep.
    all the prices were per 1/2 hour + material,.

Driver operator $30.00 + truck w/ plow 82.50 laborer w/ shovel $32.50

salt truck $75.00
    operator $30.00
    salt/ ton $195.00 1 ton min
    CaCl 100lb $78.00 100 lb min

I have a 1/2 acre lot ( parks 20 cars) with a drive way appx 1000 feet long and 65lf side walk.
    this adds up to $523.00 per visit????????

I don't like discussing pricing over an open form, BUT. this is a little extreme, ( at least I think so )

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

So they didnt actually give you a firm quote, just a $ per hour figure. Did they come look at the lot?

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

the prices are kinda high $195/ton salt thats nuts

4. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

How much is salt is PA per ton?

5. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

No one came to the property to look, salt at $195 a ton + $105 per 1/2 hr to apply, YES that is steep... Bulk salt in this area ranges from 79 to 110 a ton .

6. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

we charge 190 per ton for salt + 140 per salt truck hour, 125 per hr plow truck.....

maybe its why were #1....

yet brickman dosent report snow earnings, so we arent on the "official" list ..

this year we will be though
    \and yes for a small lot such as that, 550 is a lot..unless there is a mile or 2 of sidewalk...or you need someone there during the work day keeping the blacktop showing at all times

7. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Maybe that's why they are very successful. Charge more, run it like a real business, lots of overhead wich is offset by high profits.

Do you know IBM routinely will sell parts of their high end servers for 3 to 5000 percent what it cost them to make it!!!

In other words, insane profits are there for the taking, all that's stopping most folks here on this site is the notion "they" don't deserve it. I've stopped thinking like that a few years back, and profits are through the roof. purplebou

8. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

They just didn't want the job, but....if you accepted thier price, they would do it...

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Bulk salt in this area ranges from 79 to 110 a ton .[/QUOTE]

WOW i pay $42 per ton delivered :yow!:

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Well it could be worse they could be salting it for $50.00 a ton. Then everyone on here would be bitching that they are a bunch of lowballers, and that is how they get all their work. I think the prices seem reasonable.

11. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

Ever see a salt truck after a few seasons of use? Even with doing good preventative maintenance there is a TON of corrosion throughout the truck...It gets in every nook and cranny. The depreciation alone is a lot. How about liability for slip and falls? If I'm on the hook for it I have to charge more for the insurance coverage required. Just because salt costs anywhere from $45-80 per ton doesn't mean 300-400 per ton applied is too much.

For those who haven't salted before and think that it's too expensive - Try fixing a salt spreader in the middle of the night when It's 2 degrees out and you have brine all over your hands cause you can't use your gloves( and that brine liquid on your hands is 5 degrees.) oh yeah and it's still snowing and the snow gets down your neck....or maybe you have to shovel the salt out of the v-box and theres 2 tons in it.......you fix what you need to fix...oh yeah then shovel it back in...go through that once and you'll understand why. .......... I have no guilt whatsoever charging what I charge.

12. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

ill agree, the rates in 1985 when i plowed are almost as much as they are now, i remmeber chargine 190 a ton then!!

trucks were 90 now theyre 115 per hour

backhoes were 150-200 per hour, now the cost has been drivin down to 90-120 by competition.....

every mom and pop with a plow and a bobcat is ruining and beating down the snow and ice business with inexperience on pricing and now lots of management co.s are playing the one on the next

sucks....same with residential landscaping, lawns i wouldnt charge less than 30 on in my area back in the early 90's people are doing now for 18 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......full 1/4 acre lots with fences and pools.....for 18 bucks.....im not competing with that

and dont forget about being able to charge 25+ dollars a square foot for ep henry walkway pavers back in the early 90s now your being lowballed by guys doing it for 10-15 a square foot

13. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

WOW i pay $42 per ton delivered :yow!:[/QUOTE]

In 50 yard loads. Lets tell the whole story.

14. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Right. And what kind of car does your wife or your kid drive. Do you vote for republicans that want to keep minimum wage at 6 dollars an hour and give tax breaks to the rich?

How many of you big companies use illegal mexican laborers?

My point is.....that some of the same people that complain about pricing stagnanting or going down are partially to blame for the lowering of prices or them not rising like wede all like them too.

Because every one of those laid off auto workers with a truck is doing landscaping and snow removal, and every busload of mexican workers is pulling into your driveways to punch a time clock. Not mine.

No offense.....a lot of us have ourselves to blame if you look at the big picture.

Its gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better too.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006