1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Superior Management Group

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bbrsq, Nov 13, 2006.

1. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

I got a phone call today from Superior looking for a company to do snow removal in our area. Wondering what your opinions and experiences of them are? Are they worth working for?

A little backgroup for you. Our area is a small community, about 8000 residents. We have a large weekend population with the lake homes. The community is growing in with new retail businesses. We are getting many new small strip malls with many large box stores.

Most of the snow removal companies in our area are small operations with 2-4 trucks. There are a few with 4-8. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, many of the companies are getting out of it. Many of the guys that are left are not reliable or dont do a good job.

HAving enough work is not an issue. In fact my schedule was full the beginning of Oct. and I am still getting calls and if history repeats itself I will continue to get calls throughout the season. At this time I am turning people down. So do I need them, I would say no. Is the potential there to make more money or get better accounts? Those are some of the questions I am looking for answers on.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Sounds like they want you to sub. By subbing, you're adding another layer...that means LESS money in your jeans. Pretty well sums it up. Worth a look if you have time. tymusic

3. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

They called me too today. Same thing. Not even thinking about it. Heard too many stories of people not getting paid.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

5. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

They also have called me, and I respectfully

turned them down. The rates of which you are compensated are far to low in my opinion, and while I have personally never dealt with them, I too have heard they take their time paying and find reasons to try to knock down your price. I heard this summer they were trying to gain some Accts. in Walworth County with all of our big box development etc. If they have earned some business, good for them, now they seem to be looking to find folks like us at the last minute, let's face it, most Customers have their snow removal arrangements taken care of. When these type of folks come into an area with no local presence, and cut all of our prices to gain Accts. I say let them find somebody to work for their rates, it won't be me. If they are unable to service these Accts. they will move on, and another cut throat is out of the area.

Take care,

6. BCLARK

BCLARK Member

Yup, I got a call yesterday from them wanting some bids on a new Box store. I said no thank you my route is full. They asked if I knew anyone else in the area. I said I had no idea as everyone I know has been booked since Aug/Sep't.
    He did not like the sound of that and I could tell from his voice he was getting frustrated trying to find someone. Oh well, not my problem.

7. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Thy must be calling all over the country. I had a call today and they left a message on my machine. Told me to fill out the online application and they would be in touch with me. I think I'll pass. Never heard much good about them or US Maintenance. I can vouch for US Maintenance as they still owe me money.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  8. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

Thanks

Sounds like this is one company that you want to avoid. This was my first impression as well. If they are looking at this late hour they will not have much luck I am afraid.

Thanks

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

They go through this every year. They'll still be looking for help up into January. I wish I knew how they write their contracts so they're covered if they can't find anybody for a site.

10. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

11. 2detailpm

2detailpm Junior Member

This company is still at it. Called us in January just before a major storm promising to pay monthly if we would take care of 2 property's. We did, and received 2 payments (late) . Now the snow threat has gone and last 2 payments not received. They wont answer calls or return calls. Jon Tunis is supposed to be the boss 866-966-7669 X 114. Is anyone else still having problems with this company?