1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Superior Management Group

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stoney, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Stoney

Stoney Member
    from NW OHIO

Has anyone done work for this company? They Contacted me about doing a Fire station in town. I figure they must be legit if government is using them. or not???
  2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Ask for a retainer and see what there reaction is. If they will put it up then it may be worth a try if not look the other way. Just because they have a goverment contract does not make them a good co. Also check and see if they are licensed in your state to do business.
  3. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Take a minute, Stoney

Do a search on this company any maybe all other area management companies out there.

Do you need work that badly?

The courtship begins with a call from a phone boiler room with someone asking "do you do maintenance?". It goes from there. As others have pointed out, SMG may not even have the contract with the FD yet.

These Predatory National Companies don't do snow plowing. They look for inexperienced operators who do. They'll wear out your equipment and keep you from servicing legit clients.

In the end your invoices will be nit picked and they'll find reasons not to pay you. The reasons will all be listed in the contract you signed. How do they get away with it? Ignorance.

That is one thing Plowsite is good for, spreading the word about these deadbeats. Do you need the work that badly?

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I am a retired federal government employee and have made several contracts with national and local companies. I can tell you emphatically that having a government contract is no indication of proficiency or even legitimacy. If you can meet the terms (if any) of the Proposal, you can be contracted. As a matter of fact, it was harder to NOT do business with a company that I KNEW to be bogus than to just go ahead and deal with them. If you try to make the requirements stringent to weed out the poor ones, they will cry "foul". Then if you don't award them the contract, they have a piece of ammunition to cry "foul" again.

Government contracts are actually a way for some businesses to stay in business, even though regular consumers stay away from them. In government, usually (but not always) "Low Bidder wins" and the lower the bid, the worse the performance.
  5. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

A local mall now pays 30% less for snow removal than they did in 1990. THINK ABOUT THAT.

These national companies get contractors to join in a “relationship” with them. Money is exchanged – you pay them!!! You pay them for the privilege of bidding against other “partners”. Low man wins!

You’ll end up better off just joining Sam’s Club.

Erie County, Pennsylvania has long had experience with area management. You can no longer mention the contractors, their snow management groups, or the new ownership involved as these boards are searched and scanned by their corporate legal depts. who threaten Plowsite.

How are the rates in Erie guys? What does a movie theater/Cinema Cineplex pay nowadays?

In the end, if I get caught taking someone’s Boss V blade from a self storage area I get hammered. I am prosecuted and humiliated. But if you cheat and steal money from contractors all across the northern tier of the country you end up speaking at Industry gatherings, selling software, and signing up the Unknowing to your company. (It has a new name)

Shame shame

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

great post.. i love the software sales and industry speaches as well myself...
  7. Sunrise154

Sunrise154 Junior Member

I believe if I am not mistaken that they used to be Syimbiot or U.S. Maintenence. If that is the case run in the other direction. Anyone that wants you to pay first and you might get the job is a crook.