1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SuperDuty's and CDL's

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by somm, Jan 17, 2007.

1. somm

somm Senior Member

Superduty 650 we heard didn't require a CDL, and heard SD 750's do.
    That right?

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

What's the gvw?

Anything 26,001 gvw and over does need a Class B atleast...

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^^ :)

4. DTLandscape

DTLandscape Junior Member
    from MN

I believe it is 26,001 gcvw. so if you are towing a trailer you most likely still need a CDL

5. Oshkosh

Gray area ...

I know a landscaper and he was running F450's with a tag with a JCB articulated small loader and his guys all had class A cdl's...They all took the test with that setup....
    How many guys do you see hauling mid sized skid steers and tags running on a regular license...Most of them I would bet!!!

This is the FEDERAL LAW BELOW,each state seems to vary for some reason???

49 CFR §383.91: VEHICLE GROUPS AND ENDORSEMENTS

The various types of commercial motor vehicles are divided into three groups: combination vehicles, heavy straight vehicles, and small vehicles. Combination vehicles have a combined weight of more than 26,000 pounds if the weight of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. Heavy straight vehicles include any single vehicle weighing more than 26,000 pounds or a vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds towing a vehicle weighing 10,000 pounds or less. Small vehicles are any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that do not fall into the other groups but are used to either transport a placarded amount of material or transport 16 or more passengers including the driver.

There are some endorsements that are required on a license. Each endorsement requires both a knowledge and behind-the-wheel test if, for example, a driver will be driving a vehicle equipped with air brakes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  6. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Dunno about else where...

26001 GVWR not GCVW in Colorado. In other words CDL is required for any vehicle that is rated over 26000. A vehicle rated @ 10000 GVWR pulling a trailer of 20000 does not require CDL. If any axle is overweight, fines will result.

CDL is not that hard to obtain, get one, watch your axle weights, and quit worrying.

7. Oshkosh

I just looked this up in the Dep of Rev CDL handbook, State of Colorado see below;

Group A—Combination Vehicles. Any combina-tion of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the ve-hicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
    Group B—Heavy Straight Vehicles. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
    Group C—Small Vehicles. Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A, nor that of Group B, but that is either designed to transport 16 or more passen-gers including the driver, or is used in the transpor-tation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transporta-tion Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regula-tions (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).
    Representative Vehicle. For purposes of taking the driving test a representative vehicle for a given vehicle group is any commercial motor vehicle that meets the definition of that vehicle group. A truck tractor is designed to operate with a towed unit(s), typically a semi-trailer and therefore could only be used as a representative vehicle when connected to a semi-trailer, for the Class A CDL.
    Section 1— Introduction
    Page 1–2

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/MCS_dir/PDFS/2005_CDLFinal_Manual122105.pdf

8. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Oshkosh,

OK. I suppose there is a reason I still carry my CDL A. :eek:

9. somm

somm Senior Member

Thanks Guys !
    We saw both the new SD 650 and SD 750 on highways here the other day (beautiful lines and chrome flat panel front grilles, but ********-looking aluminum-tube frame side view mirrors which SHOULD appear more like the new Kodiak's big-azzed side mirrors!!).

SD 650 was a wedge tow- truck, SD 750 was a big electric company exterior tool box body with telescoping 2-man articulating bucket set up.

We were thinking of a single-axle dually SD 650 body featuring a steel-sided steel stake-bed, with tuck-under, 6'wx8'l heavy duty aluminum lift gate. Body weight is less than or equal to 7500 lbs, hauling 5500 lbs of landscape equipment. This rig would replace our current pickup truck and dbl-axl trailer if we go with it. And we plan to plow with HMP-10 of new Meyer with EZ-Custom mount which should account for another 2800 lbs.

BTW, Our commercial Ford dealer says it's a better idea to hold up on a '07 purchase, and rather plan on a 2008 version of one of these fine rigs, to better take advantage of upcoming improvements in the emissions system. :dizzy:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  10. Oshkosh

Gray area with local police.

It has always been a gray area about the smaller trucks,I've asked a handful of different policemen/woman and have gotten different answers...????
    I guess it is all in how they where trained...So many laws to learn...Massachusetts recently allowed local police to be trained as D.O.T police...The goal is to have at least one per town.So I have heard....
    Don't you love how the trucking industry is one of the few that has its own police force....