1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

superduty spring upgrades??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chtucker, Sep 30, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

It was not possiible to get the plow package on one of my superdutys PSD. I have the 4700lb springs.

Should I buy the tuff country add a leaf for $100 (don't know what that will raise my spring rate too)

Or

Buy the ford x-code springs (plow package springs)

Thanks Howard

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Same situation here, mine states: 4,800 lbs.

The Ford "X" springs would be the way to go, that's what I did.

The is a way to get your truck recertified, I got the information how to in an email, I'll research and see if I can find the infor for you.

Rick

3. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I just set up a 02 F-350 Crew Cab PSD 8' single rear wheel. It had the "V" code leafs in front. Swapped out "V"(5,200lb.) for "X"(6,000lb.). You should know that the ride height really did not change. I thought it would give me more height but it looked the same. I added 1 additional leaf to the "X" spring fronts and finally the truck sits more or less level.

The more time I look at the truck the more I think I'm going to bump up the back by 1 or 2 leafs.

my truck #1- web ready.jpg

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Different weight ratings do not always translate into lift. Same for lift springs. Lift kits often have different rate from soft to heavy to allow for different truck design.

I like having the back a little higher. Makes the truck look good empty and ovoids having the rear sit low with a moderate load.

5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Howard,

Go for the X's. The improvement in the ride is worth it alone:D The truck will no longer "dive" when cornering.

I actually have both, X's and TC A-a-L's. I got 1.5" of lift after swapping my stock "U"s(4700 lb.) to X's. I had a severe case of spring sag and had them replaced under warranty. Then got another 1.5" with the TC's. I then swapped my stock 2" rear blocks with 4"ers.

Greg

6. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Air bags worked great for me in the back. I don't know how they would work for the front. I would think they would work OK.

www.macsspring.com

7. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I must have the info on another hard drive, I'll swap some out and let you know.

If not one of the moderators here Chuck Smith might also have some info for you.

Rick

8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I wish I could get my dealer to replace them under warranty... I have probably an 1" of sag compared to a 2003 on the lot.

9. Tillerman1664

Tillerman1664 Junior Member

I understand you are still looking. Please post the information when you find it. The two questions I have are 1) where do I find the V-code or the X-code and 2) did you guys just drive into Ford and say " hey, put the X springs on them" and they did?

10. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Marshal,

Sorry I haven't had a chance to give you a call:( I get wrapped up in things during the day and forget:confused: Then when I think of it, I don't have your number with me! I'll be in touch soon;)

If you look at the sticker on the drivers side door jamb, under "SPR" are your spring codes. There are two letters. The first is your front springs and the second is your rears. You can buy the X springs from the parts counter. Last I heard they were around $135 ea. They are relativly easy to install if you have an extra set of hands and a heavy floor jack. It's also alot cheaper than having the dealer do it. I had mine changed under warranty when the truck was about 2 mos. old, but that took a little pursuading since it was considered an "upgrade". I said, rather firmly, if your going to replace the springs, I want the X's. I don't want to be back in in 2 mos. with the same problem. After some himming and hawing, they agreed, Thank God!!

Greg

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I want to order a 350 4x4 diesel c&c and it comes with a front axel rating of 5200LBS now I should say that i want the x springs because, i will order it with plow prep or just say that i want the front rated at 6K lbs?

12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Tillerman1664,

Sorry for the delay response,

Look on the drivers inside door post. it should be listed there.

Dockboy is the one who had Ford replace his springs.

Rick

13. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

cat320,

If you order the truck with the plow pkg.(assuming it's available for the model config.), you WILL get the "X" code front springs. Now even though the X springs are rated for 6000 lbs., you will still only have a front axle rating of 5200 lbs. That rating is limited by the axle, not the springs. The extra rating on the springs just helps give extra support for the plow. The only way to get a front axle rating of 6000 lbs is to order a 550;)

Greg

14. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

250s 350s 450s 550s made in 2002 and newer have THE SAME front axle, A dana 60.

250s and 350 SRW 1999 2001 had dana 50s, DRW 350s 450s 550s had the dana 60.

15. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I KNOW!;)

But the fact is, you can not buy a 250, 350, or 450 with a "Certified" Front GAWR of 6000 lbs.!! You must buy a 550 to get that. The max. "certified" Front GAWR for a 250 and 350 is 5200 lbs. and 5600 lbs. for a 450, even though they may have 6000 lb. springs on them.:waving:

Greg

16. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

That may be true, but after the Warranty the only thing Ford can do is make noise. I have my F 250 over recomended weights every week several times a week.

17. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Me Too;) Practically everyday:)

Greg

18. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Once when scaled the rear axle was at 8200 lbs or so, and the front about 7300 or so. Heavy load, if I remember right my total gross was 28K lbs.

19. bert

bert Member

so If I put the x springs on how do you get it recertified

20. captbo

captbo Senior Member

Dang I can't even findf a ford dealer who seems to know what I am talking about!, Just got off the phone with the local dealer in Prince Frederick, I told him that my sticker read spr/V B and I want to replace the V with and X spring, he then tells me " Ford does not list its spring s by weight, I replied yes I unterstand Ford uses letters and he just did not get it,
    If any one herer in Md can help with a dealer that knows whats going on please send me to them
    Thanks Bo