1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

superduty rear backing plates

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by trucksareford42, Sep 10, 2009.

1. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

Does any one know where to get new backingplates without having to buy the whole assm from the dealer for $330 i dont really wanna spend that money on a e brake that i hardly ever use. ide rather sit in the shop for a few hours with a mig welder and a beer.

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

go get your 6 pack

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I use my parking brake all the time. Saves on the parking pin and shifter cable.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Search :" Auto Parts "on the internet. You should be able to find the backing plates. Try a truck parts place. Most medium to heavy duty truck part places can get almost anything you need. If it's made by Danna or Spicer they can get it. Shafts, bearings, and bushings cost about about 2/3's of what a dealer would charge you. Most times it's in stock too!

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

What wrong with that? ROT?

that rear axle is 10.25 sterling

I am not sure if they use same rear backing plates in different years.

6. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member

ive done tons of research and havent come up with anything. The only prob in Jersey the e brake needs to work or the vehicle wont pass inspection. And 2COR ive never broke a parking pin or shifter cable and ide think the the linkage would pop off before doing major damage

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

We need them for inspection up here. The more frequently we use them, the more reliable they are. And I personally wouldn't want to park 10 or 11K on a hill with just a parking pin. But to each his own.

8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Wheel Chocks? Set the weight on a chock then park and brake??

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Set the parking brake or put in park. Get out and put the wheel chock inplace. If anything does brake it will roll up to the choke and stop. If it will hold a 30k fire truck in place it will have no problem with a plow truck with a salt spreader.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This must be drivers ed 101 LOL

----When parking on a hill----

Turn wheels towards curb, or big tree if no curb exists. If no trees, aim for German car.
    Firmly apply manual parking brake.
    Slowly release foot brake to transfer vehicle weight to parking brake.
    Put transmission in park.
    Put chocks under all four tires. Use 8-12lb sledge hammer to ensure they are tight. Chocks should be chained to the truck.
    Fasten winch cable to nearest large tree. Mailbox posts are also suitable, as well as those hold down hooks on Honda Civics.
    Snug up winch cable.
    Hire local excavator to park behind your truck.
    Run into Tim Hortons.
    Do your business
    Get coffee.
    Undo all the work you just did
    Go plowing.

11. trucksareford42

trucksareford42 Member