1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

superduty front axle?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04superduty, Feb 8, 2004.

1. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 9'2" boss v blade on a F 350 6.0 psd. Has anyone had problems with the front axle? Anyone running alot of weight over the front end have problems with the bearings, hubs or anything else. Im just wondering, I know i cant get x springs or timbrens, but to my knowledge, the front axle itself is rated at only 5200 lbs. :D :D

2. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Are you having problems?

3. 04superduty

No problems. just wondering, i know i am very close to to front axle rating. just curious if anyone has had problems. I know the front ends are built very strong though.

4. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Fords have the best front end weight carrying ability in my opinion.

5. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Try ordering F550 springs.:)

6. 04superduty

The x springs, i believe thats what is on the f 550, will only help out the springs not the bearings, ball joints, and hubs. When there is alot of snow stuck on and around my blade i am over the limit for the front axle weight.

7. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

8. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Do the X springs just have more leaf's? or are they a different design?

9. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

This is for 99 and up SD the X springs look the same as all the others two leafs. 6000lbs rating and 1.5" higher in the front. They are bent a little different side by side to the w's no difference maybe diff metal.

10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I personally wouldn't go through the trouble of changing to X springs. They may improve your ride height and load carrying capacity on the SPRINGS, but it does nothing for your ball joints. This is where most of the stress occurs. You can put springs from a Mack truck under your psd but your axle is still the weakest link.

As far as your spring weights are concerned, they are Ford factory guidelines. They can actually handle plenty of weight. The weight ratings are also designed for full time weight. Not temporary loads such as your blade which is only on the truck while plowing and spends most of the time on the ground scraping.

11. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

On all the superduty's the x's are for plowing package you should really have them. Esp if you have the U or V springs..The X's will go down about 3/4 with 1000 lbs on the front...

12. 04superduty

thanks plow meister thats what i was wondering. Like you said, and what i asked, i am wondering about the axle, not the springs.

13. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I'm not 100% sure but I think the ball joints are the same. I will look them up at work and reply back.

14. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Changed in 2002 to the dana 60 but I think they are the same as the 99 or similar..

15. 04superduty

I though i my f 350 had a Dana 50 not a 60. The bearings are what i was wondering the most about. Dyna trac offers a kit with new spindles, hubs and gets rid of the unit bearings. It also replaces the axle shafts with stronger ones. :D :D

16. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I believe the single rear wheel F350 has a Dana 50 (F250 too). The dual rear wheel F350 has a Dana 60.

17. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Drw all dana 60
    Srw dana 50 99-01... 02 - 04 dana 60

18. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

All this work for what... A couple more pounds of axle carrying capacity? Not worth the trouble. By the time he orders all the heavier duty components, he could have purchased a 450 and been kosher. I am all for upgrading and aftermarket hullabaloo but there comes a point where the cost doesn't justify the means.

04superduty, glad I could help. Seems you got a great truck. I hope you have many years of use out of it. As far as the axle size... I am 99% certain the 250's have the D-50 and the 350's have a D-60. I will look into it further and get back to you. I know the 87 to 97 350's had D-60's. Gotta check into the new body styles.

19. 04superduty

thanks for all the help and replies. Springs not far away so i will have spring, summer and fall to figure it all out.

20. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Even though the axle is "A "weaker link...the "WEAKEST LINK" would actually be the tires.