1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

superduty exhaust manifold leak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by hvacpro85, Mar 25, 2009.

1. hvacpro85

hvacpro85 Junior Member
    from 53140

Ok guys ive got a 2000 superduty with the 5.4 (gasser). My passenger side exhaust manifold is leaking pretty bad. The nuts on the studs are completely rotted off. I took it to my usual mechanic where it sat for two weeks untouched. Come to find out he was scared to do the job and didnd want to tell me. It looks like a big can of worms!

I found a local guy that works out of his house that over the phone says he will do the job no problem. He has 30+ yrs working on cars. Im a little nervous letting him take my truck. He has no legitimate buisness so if I have problems im screwed.

On the other hand ive got a pretty well set up farm shop, so do you guys think this is something an average guy can handle? Im not stupid just scared I will mess something up drilling and tapping on an alum. head. I really hate to go to the dealer there just going to sell me new heads, manifolds and rape me.

Thanks in advance
  2. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I did my own on my '04 with no problems. I took it to the dealer and they said it would be around $600 to fix it (if there were no problems) or double that if they have to take the head off for machining. Well I gave them the big F.U and got me two new manifold gaskets and 16 stainless steel bolts to do it myself. The key is to have a stud extractor and spray them the night before with Fluid Film.